Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wok this way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your thoughts on this oven, Fireman: https://importfood.com/products/thai...de-in-thailand

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ever so slightly different, but the same. Sorta like a GE & a Hotpoint. I checked the Wok Shop & she is at 49.95, 5bucks cheaper and in stock.
      Last edited by FireMan; March 31, 2018, 03:00 PM.

Polarbear777 talked about "loading up" a wok to cook big batches. A wok is designed not to fill up, so one has the opportunity to almost do a "two zone" cooking. You can shove things up to the top of the wok & the cooking process is muted so to speak. That is one of the reasons carbon steel is preferred by Chinese chefs. You want big batches, do more cooks or get a big restaurant sizes wok. Only problem is the heat source. The standard western stove doesn’t get it as far as enough heat & neither will the wok oven I use. Take a look at the cooking stove of an Asian restaurant for the woks they use.
    If I have a gathering of let’s say 8 or 10, I’ll pull out my other wok (they are both 14”). Chinese dishes are not usually served ala western style, where you have meat, taters & two veggies on one plate. Reason: they are cooked in "smallish" batch’s & usually are cooked differently per batch. The meal I cooked the other day had the chix, which I cooked in 1 tbs oil & a little med soy with a sprinkle of Pirate Scott ‘s ghost pepper sauce. The bok choy, which was in two stages due to the make up of the vegetable, part thick & part thin & leafy mixed with the carrots which needed to be cooked separately, I used oil & a little dark soy. The red peppers were cooked in oil, sprinkled with a little sugar & then finished off with hoisin sauce. So, ya’ll don’t want to just make a big pot luck with it all, because of the different tastes & sauces.
    I think I’m beginning to go a bit deep here in the explaining Dept. There are chef’s & cooks out there who have done a much better job of explaining than I ever will do. I’ve got some 22 books on Chinese cooking, some get pretty "exotic" for western tastes. If one is looking to learn, I think a good thorough start would be three books by Grace Young. Try "The Breath of Wok". Nuf said.Hope this has been some help.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I meant loading up in terms of heat between batches not loading up food.

On a standard stove this is a slow battle, which is why outside is better.

It's small group fast cooking on the cheap. I have a CS wok that I use over the volcano3. Mise en place is extremely important as this stuff goes fast! A few tosses will get you the wok hei you're looking for. Hard to beat when you're cooking for 1 or 2, especially on a hot summer evening when you don't want to heat up the kitchen. Kenji at Serious Eats has some great recipes...

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, the time is in the prep. Stir-frying is quick.

I have a propane burner that came with a turkey deep fry kit. It throws a LOT of heat. Would this be sufficient or is the clay brazier thing pretty much mandatory? If yes, I'm pullin' the trigger on one. If not, I'm yanking the turkey gizmo out of retirement.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      if that's one of those Bayou products, i think you should be good for wok-ing.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d give it a shot. Don’t know much about, but sounds like it might be work.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      A big kahuna burner (links below) is what I currently use outside but I like the novelty of using charcoal only so I’m continuously investigating other options. (Like the air blown insanity chimney and now this cool little oven)

Yes - give it a try - you've already got it. Just make sure the wok is stable and have some gloves handy in case the heat rising around the outside of the wok is too much.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I use big thick Kevlar gloves for the non dominant hand. Better safe.

It will work.

Comment

Hey FireMan do you think a full lit charcoal starter would generate and sustain enough heat to use as a makeshift wok stove?

Comment

MeatMonster , I know it will initially get to temp. I don’t know about sustaining the heat. You know your wok is hot enough when you sprinkle a finger tips worth of water & the water balls up into little bb’s. In cooking multiple batches, a CS wok gets back to heat almost instantly. With a coal starter I don’t know about the sustainability. With the clay oven it works like, duh, an oven, and contains the coals or wood over an extended period of time.

Comment

• MeatMonster
          MeatMonster commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I'll try and see!

This is what I use outside but I like the novelty of using charcoal only so I’m continuously investigating other options.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...7xL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003G...8zL&ref=plSrch

Comment

Fireman, as you own 22 wok books and speak with obvious authority/experience here, what two or three wok books would you recommend as essential? I bought "To The Sky's Edge" a couple of weeks ago.

I'm thinking maybe we'll need a wok thread on AR soon. You could be Wokhead!

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            At least the hat to wear for that is easy.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I would look at Young’s Breath of Wok also for starters.

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, FireMan, aka Wokhead

Nice setup !!

Comment

I do it on a charcoal chimney.

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmmmm ... sounds like a good idea for a bumper sticker. 😎

• SmokingSteve
              SmokingSteve commented
              Editing a comment
              For a Hot Time...Do It On A Charcoal Chimney!

Might be even better, LOL!

I use a "Twok" which is essentially an oversized wok attached to a big propane fish fryer. Thing is a DREAM. Happen to have a vender in the family, that is how I was introduced to it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              that is cool! Texas longhorns on wheels!

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto on the "so cool"!

texastweeter that would be neat to see you workin that cooker.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed!

Options for wok.

The big kahuna propane burner is best for control but you can get hotter over air assisted charcoal.

Room temp to 600F+ in under 20 seconds. And recovery time between batches is about the same

Only issue is keeping up with it. You will smoke all your oil away if you aren’t on top of things and your oil can ignite inside the wok if it gets too hot. (Just relax take off heat let cool a bit and keep cooking).

Click image for larger version

Name:	601398AB-6E80-43FF-AEA0-59F385E7AA8F.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	519236Click image for larger version

Name:	E14353A7-82C3-4912-85C8-8F06A8143B08.png
Views:	300
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	519239Click image for larger version

Name:	1273DCD0-811E-4B5F-8EAD-730EAD977E4C.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	519237Click image for larger version

Name:	86EAB608-C7CE-4224-87B8-D11953AFA69F.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	519238Click image for larger version

Name:	93BE4890-861B-41E2-B6DF-94C354188696.png
Views:	281
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	519241Click image for larger version

Name:	687ED2AD-3BD7-4C7F-B958-A5439BE54C1A.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	519240

Name:	F17956DA-4FA2-47E5-A06E-56995E95F66D.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	519242

Name:	85671DCB-5EE3-49A3-A24E-C292498B3B01.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	519243

Name:	C41A45C5-59A9-4A10-84A5-6564FB20A14A.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	519244

Name:	6BA6919C-5E69-4B00-A40D-7B93886CE4DB.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	519245

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              You are amazing!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              WOW! This is awesome!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here