Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last Night's Kabob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last Night's Kabob

Here is something many of you may not be familiar with, it’s called Koobideh. We recently moved away from the SF Bay Area, where there are lots of Middle Eastern restaurants, or Kabob joints. This is one of our favorites, it’s just ground meat (usually lamb, beef or a combination) with grated onion, S&P and ​ turmeric just for color Form on a wide flat skewer and grill. It’s traditionally served with Persian flat bread, raw onion and grilled tomato, tonight with Greek salad and tzatziki.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1159.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	460107

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1160.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.47 MB ID:	460105

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1161.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	460104Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1163.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	460106

That looks and sounds amazing! I love this stuff.

Comment

Very nice. That looks very interesting and tasty.

Comment

Looks good.

Comment

I can’t even think straight over the sound of my belly growling over that stuff!!! Awesome!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

Very unique I love these kind of dishes! Great job!!

Comment

Nice. Do you serve on the skewer or remove the skewer before serving?

Comment

Beautiful❗️ I Can't Wait To Try This‼️ From a Backyard Cremator
                  in Fargo ND, San

Comment

My wife and I love koobideh but I haven't gotten up to try making my open yet . Seeing someone else make it on here definitely motivates me .I just need to get some of those skewers .

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
                      SierraBBQGuy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s really very simple. The only tricky part is forming meat on the skewers, and having the meat not fall off. You do need very wide skewers. But, cooking patties just like a burger works too.

going to try naan in my pizza oven soon. Those look great

Comment

Tried this tonight. Had a pretty spectacular fail! I had 1/2 inch wide skewers, not the 1 inch called for but I assumed it would work well enough. I made up six nice skewers and everything seemed fine. Fired up the little lodge sportsman grill and lined up my skewers nicely over the coals once done. I chose not to use the grate, but just suspend the skewers over the edges. All the meat on all six skewers promptly fell off the skewer and directly onto the coals. I might have freaked just a little bit. Then I got some tongs and rescued as much meat as I could and put it in a cast iron pan. Cooked till done, and served with naan bread. Think I got the flavour right but definitely not the shape. The meat still tasted good, so may have to try the wider skewers.

Comment

A very common occurrence, yes wider skewers are needed, but...

a few few other things help.
                        Add an egg for binder.
                        Work the ground meat with your hands for 5-10 minutes. Unlike burgers, you need the fat to actually start melting from the heat on your hands. Like you are intentionally making tough burgers. I will process the meat in a food processor for a good 5 minutes to accomplish.
                        Keep a thin layer of meat on the skewer, and not too long, I probably get 6-8 skewers per lb.
                        Make indentations with finger/thumb all along skewer, maybe every few inches.
                        Pinch both ends of kabaab, so the meat smears on the skewer.

With all this, sometimes I still have some fall off the skewer. Use a grate below to be safe.

We are at a disadvantage cooking this way, in a real kabaab shop, the skewers are placed veriically, so much easier to keep the meat in place.

Comment

• jgreen
                          jgreen commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the tips. A good learning experience is still fun, after the fact.

Oh, one last important item, squeeze as much water as possible out of the onion.

Comment

...you sure Koobideh won't startle the other folks up the mountain?

(looks fantastic. I've been wanting to try something like this...)
                          Last edited by Livermoron; December 15, 2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here