Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make one thing and make it well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make one thing and make it well

Ran across an article for a little place out in eastern Arkansas called Jones Bar-B-Q diner, 110 years running. Really cool to see a place surviving doing it old school. They only serve one thing, pulled pork, and apparently do it well, they won the James Beard award in a category I didn't know they even had.
    Here's a video. It's about a 5 hour drive, but I hope to get out that way soon.

Kinda like the Skylight Inn.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jerod for sharing that video...That's what I'm talking about right there...Old School BBQ...Nothing fancy...Bet no sleeping going on while that meat is cooking
      Last edited by DWCowles; December 22, 2014, 05:56 PM.

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool place, he talks about expanding but how they do it I don't think they could ever let go to an outsider.

• Ray
      Ray commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess they don't believe in "set it and forget it"! Their approach reminds me of a place called Ward's Pit BBQ in East Texas that we used to frequent on trips to Houston. No building or dine in restaurant; just an open pit and "take out" for the road. It was fantastic BBQ beef

Thanks John for sharing...nothing beats old school bbq

Comment

Great thread....

Comment

I've never had whole hog, it sounds like an awful big waste to just chop it up into pulled pork. All the ribs, tenderloin, belly etc. Must be good stuff to give all that up. Does it taste anything like pork shoulder?

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          It's all pork

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          That pit of yours turning out shoulders that taste like belly's?

• W.A.
          W.A. commented
          Editing a comment
          John, its all falling apart at that point into delicious chunks of pork meat and fat. You dont really need to chop it up into fine bits though, but that is what works for the restaurant to get even portions or sandwiches. At pig roasts everyone just tears strips off and pile their plates.

Make one thing and make it well -- I have been thinking about this since I saw it yesterday. These are good words and ideas... I am still thinking about it, and wonder if it is too late in life to apply it.
        Last edited by smarkley; December 23, 2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it depends on what it is. Dunking a ball, you might be too late, cooking up que no problem at all.

NEVER to late steveo... well until... well you know.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here