Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickles from The Prized Pig BBQ Restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pickles from The Prized Pig BBQ Restaurant

The owner of The Prized Pig shared this recipe for the pickles he serves in his restaurant. These are now my go to pickles. I don't buy them any more.

This recipe makes two quart sized jars of pickles. I use the Ziploc Twist'n Loc plastic containers and they work great.

With Ziploc® products, the ordinary can become extraordinary. They’re more than bags and containers, they’re organizers, space savers, kitchen helpers and more.

Ingredients
    • 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
    • 4 cups water
    • 2 cups white vinegar
    • 8-12 cloves of garlic
    • 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt *** I use 3 TBS as I thought 6 TBS was too salty ***
    • A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
    • 1 teaspoon coriander seed
    • 1 teaspoon celery seed
    • 1 teaspoon mustard seed
    • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
    • 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers *** Peppers are OPTIONAL: I tried Jalapenos and now use Habaneros. Depends how spicy you want it. ***

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. I also add the peppers to the simmering pot as I feel it extracts some of the hot oils and make the pickles spicier.

While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices (1/2 teaspoon each) between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Put the lid on the container and store on the countertop to cool. I shake the jars every hour or so and alternate between right side up and upside down to get the flavors to evenly mix. Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

Thanks. I'll have to check this out. My parents made bread and butter pickles.

I thought you had pickles from a pig that got BBQ'd. To say I was reluctant to click on this thread is an understatement.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post

I thought you had pickles from a pig that got BBQ'd. To say I was reluctant to click on this thread is an understatement.
      You almost made me spit a mouthful of coffee on my monitor with an unanticipated laugh. Thanks Jerod for the giggle and grin.

Kathryn

Hmmm... Didn't think the title would be misunderstood. It won't let me edit the title now. If you want to add "Restaurant" to the end of the title, maybe it will be a little more clear.

Comment

I stand on a line ALL day and inspect 15,000+++ dead chickens. By the time I get to a computer my brain has been seared to extra-well-done. Not your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by THoey1963 View Post
        Hmmm... Didn't think the title would be misunderstood. It won't let me edit the title now. If you want to add "Restaurant" to the end of the title, maybe it will be a little more clear.
        Done! (I wasn't confused, but since you mentioned it I thought I'd change it)

Comment

Originally posted by THoey1963 View Post
          • 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt *** I use 3 TBS as I thought 6 TBS was too salty ***
          You use 3 Tbsp of Kosher salt, or table salt by chance? Table salt is 2x as concentrated volume-wise as Kosher, you probably know this I'm just asking for clarification...

Comment

• THoey1963
            THoey1963 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use Morton's Course Kosher Salt. Followed the recipe's suggestion of 6 TBS the first time and they were way salty. Three TBS seems to work just fine. Adjust as you see fit.

Interesting recipe. I have been making pickles for a while (didn't want to say decades but, I can't believe how long). I will have to give it a try. As far as the brine concentration is concerned it depends how long you are going to leave the cukes in it as to how salty they are. In my "go to" recipe I use 1/4 cp of pickling salt/kosher salt which is 4 Tsp to 1/2 gal of water/2 quarts. The recipes are somewhat similar in the basics but a lot more seasoning than mine.

Here is the link to what I had posted earlier this year.

http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...-into-pickling

Comment

Marauderer, yeah, that recipe seems pretty close. I leave the pickles in the brine until they are gone, which is usually less than two weeks.

We were out of slices and I also wanted to give a couple friends some for the holidays, so I just did a double batch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here