Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First AR meal - a three grill bonanza!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First AR meal - a three grill bonanza!

Hi, all! Yesterday I made my first AR meal! Before I begin, I must state that /I was lame and didn’t take any pictures, so you’ll need good visualization skills. Somehow I think most members will have no problem envisioning cooking meat.

First, I made Last Meal Baby Back Ribs in my new-to-me 18” WSM. This was the first time trying temperature control for me and it worked pretty well. I was able to keep the temps average around 250 measured from the lid (I have new Thermoworks products on the way!) using Harry Soo’s version of the Minion method (donut). The ribs took a bit over 4 hours and they were really good with a bit of apple smoke. I enjoyed the Memphis Dust rub.

Next, I made some steakhouse burgers on my 22.5” Weber Kettle using indirect cooking first and some hickory for smoke. When it was time for the sear, I moved them over to my non-descript gas grill on Grill Grates that were smokin’ hot. They ended up being a bit overdone thank to my horrible Oneida digital thermometer that seems to be totally out of whack. I can’t wait for my Thermopop and DOT devices to arrive. Despite this, they were tasty.

Finally, I made the Bourbon Barbecue Beans recipe and used my slow cooker. These really stole the show – wonderful recipe and perfect with the ribs. Everyone wanted the recipe. There should be a few more visitors to the site today!

Really great site with wonderful, proven tips. Thanks to everyone. Next time, I’ll be sure to take some pictures.

Sounds great, I haven't seen the beans, will have to check them out. Glad you have the right thermometers on the way!

Comment

Right on! I need to try the beans recipe - my method of just doctoring canned Bush's baked beans is getting pretty tired I must admit.

Comment

The recipe is really not hard, but it tastes amazing! I used a 1/2 jalapeno instead of the full one it called for since we had mixed company, but it had a nice level of spice.

Comment

The beans are amazing....but go easy...you know what I mean.

Comment

Great job Psinderson! And welcome to The Pit! Have you tried sticking your Oneida probe in boiling water to see just how off it really is? At least then you'd know and could use it accordingly afterward knowing what you're doing better. Great news on the Thermoworks stuff coming, you'll only improve from here on out. I love apple wood on pork too.

When you get your therms, try taking your burgers no higher than 160, this is well done (and safe) but still juicy assuming you use 80/20 and no leaner. I prefer mine at 155ish, but USDA says 160. You're on your way to BBQ heaven I can feel it!

Great job on your sig too!

Comment

I just got my thermometers today and I tested them out along with the Oneida. It ended up being relatively accurate but it's just sooooo sloooow. I realize it's not supposed to be an instant read but it literally takes a minute to stabilize. The Thermopop and Dot are wonderful it seems. Can't wait to try them out on the smoker and with homebrewing!

Comment

No pics? Didn't happen

Just kidding. Welcome to The Pit!

Nic job on the Signature. Hope to see you around often!

Comment

Yes, I was a bit picture challenged on Sunday...definitely pictures next time!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here