Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried salt block grilling yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried salt block grilling yet?

I will probably never do this since I watch salt intake so close... but has anyone tried this yet???

Click image for larger version

Name:	saltblockgrilling.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	34316
    Sur La Table Himalayan Salt Block http://goo.gl/295GpI

I did a little research into it. According to what I've read, it only imparts a moderate saltiness to the food. So I'm going to assume you do not season your food, with salt, before cooking on it. It's really cool looking though, and the blocks aren't very expensive. I may have to give it a try in the future. Seems like a really cool way to grill a steak. They claim, if you heat them up slowly, they can handle temps in the 500-600* range.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampDonkeyzBBQ View Post
      ... They claim, if you heat them up slowly, they can handle temps in the 500-600* range.
      Wow... that is amazing.

Comment

I'd still salt the tops of the veggies unless you plan to turn them.

Comment

I wonder how it can improve on dry brining the steak.... What do you do with the meat-stained block when you're done? I don't know. I'd have to think about this one. Not convinced it's for me.

Comment

My son gave one of these blocks for Christmas in 2017. Long story short, I stashed it away in preparation for a kitchen remodel then forgot about it until JUST NOW. 🤦‍♂️🙄
            Now I need to remember where I stashed it! I guess I need to hunt it up and give it a try.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              hahahaha I happen to have one of these that was a christmas present in the back of the pantry. Just went and found it reading this thread. Haven't used it yet.

• BruceB
              BruceB commented
              Editing a comment
              <edit> Didn't realize this was a resurrected thread. </edit>
              I've got the same thing from Christmas years ago, stashed in the extra BBQ supplies shelf in my office I see it all the time and haven't been motivated to try it.
              Last edited by BruceB; February 18, 2024, 02:06 PM.

Cooking on a salt block amps up flavor and makes a great presentation. You can put the salt block right on your grill, heat it up, and then cook on the salt block like a griddle. You can also bring a hot salt block to the table and sear meats tableside! Here's everything you need to know about cooking on salt blocks.

Comment

I ate in a swanky place in India that you could cook your own food at the table on a screaming hot salt block. It was different. A little salty if you left it on too long.

Comment

I had one of these about a year ago. Used it a couple of times, but it is a PITA. Very heavy, very fragile, and chips around the edges easily. It did not add anything significant to flavor or getting food cooked the way I wanted. Used it for salmon, halibut and some steaks, then chucked it.

Comment

I was given one as a gift and have used it a couple of times and wasn’t really impressed. The food was imparted with a nice salty flavor, but nothing spectacular. As noted in previous post, you need to handle with some care especially during heating and cooling.

Comment

Nothing worth trying. All hat and no cattle.

Comment

Got one as a gift 2 different times. I no longer have them. A fad IMO.

Comment

seems the spam link that popped this post up is gone.

but, Like the others, I have a Himalayan Salt block. I’ve used it a few times, but it’s been a few years since I’ve used it. I think I only used it for fish. I don’t know if it provides much from the salt. I know it was kind of pain to clean. Maybe I’ll give it a go this week…determine if it’s something I keep or chuck.

Comment

So my suspicions 8.5 years ago were true!

Comment

Award for oldest thread ever dug back up?!?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here