Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quasi-BBQ tastes good too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quasi-BBQ tastes good too

Hi all, I haven't been on in a little while, but thought I'd share this little experiment that I'm sure many of you have already done.

So, I had a chuck pot roast, a hankering for BBQ, but not a ton of charcoal left. So I dry brined it the night before, and then the next morning I applied the big bad beef rub, and threw the 2.75 lb slab of fatty beef onto my Weber in a two-zone config with some pecan wood. I smoked it between 225 and 250 with the occasional spike to mid 260's, for three hours. I then transferred the meat to a cast iron dutch oven atop a bed of baby carrots, with just a little bit of liquid (basically the same thing as my beef injection: stock, butter, Worcestershire, seasoning) that didn't initially touch the meat at all. I put it on the lowest simmer and put the lid on.

After another couple hours the meat was fork tender and so I removed it to the warmer under some foil to rest for an hour. It looked phenomenal and tasted much better than my normal crock pot roast. The smoke ring was bright red, but the flavor was relatively subtle. I think 'pulled beef' sandwiches will become a recurring meal from now on. Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw meat.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	30549 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	30550 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	30551

Son of a gun, that looks delicious.

Comment

• Pit Master Apprentice
      Pit Master Apprentice commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I think dividing the cooking time between the smoker and the dutch oven, as opposed to doing the entire thing in the dutch oven or crock pot, allowed the flavor to stay in the meat rather than losing it all to the liquid.

Looks great... pulled beef is definitely a fav at our house!

Comment

Nice! I've never done a chuck before but I picked up a pair at Costco yesterday and I'm going to give some pulled beef a try this week.

Comment

• Pit Master Apprentice
      Pit Master Apprentice commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy that I influenced someone to give it a try! I hope it works out for you. Let me know how it goes.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here