Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping vs bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping vs bag

Perhaps this is a solution that everyone knows but we discovered it on our own. I was smoking a 13lb brisket using Meatheads Better than sex recipe, or was it to die for recipe well anyway.....it was time to wrap and the foil that I had was not wide enough. We did the best we could do but set it in a pan then back into the green egg.

Checked it in an hour and yep we had fluid in the pan so I took it back into the house and asked my wife if she had any larger foil. She checked had no foil that was bigger but came back with an turkey roasting bag. It was good to 400 degrees but I did not plan on getting the meat that hot anyways. So into the bag, added the recaptured fluid, poked several holes in the top of the bag and then re-wrapped in foil.

This worked great, no fluid was lost, brisket was indeed to die for (however not better than sex by any means) and I now have another way to avoid having aluminum in contact with the food that I eat.

I read about using a roasting bag somewhere on AR. Not sure what the article was on but I certainly intend to try it!

Comment

I use roasting bags for baking NY cheesecake in a bath of water but not so much on the grill. Seems to me it should work though, and as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Sounds good!

Comment

I just tried a bag with my latest long and slow chuck roast. I cooked it until about 160 F internal then bagged it. It seemed to get up to 205 in a hurry.. maybe about another hour. I will try again and get better temps and times next time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here