Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrapping - butcher paper vs tinfoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrapping - butcher paper vs tinfoil

It appears that there are 2 camps of wrappers ... paper and tinfoil. I've always been a tinfoil kinda guy when I wrap (Texas Crutch) my ribs, brisket or pork butt. Has anyone tested the difference between paper vs tinfoil? I like the idea of using paper instead of tinfoil.

I prefer to use paper since it is waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. But since most of the briskets I cook are reheated, I have to use foil anyways. Either way, I wrap late enough so that there isn't much difference b/n the two, as for as I can tell.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 20, 2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I got a ginormous roll of tinfoil at Costco that was damned cheap. I'll have to check prices of paper on amazon. I like the idea of using paper as it seems more recyclable, as well as being biodegradable.

I'd think that tinfoil is a much better insulator of heat, and probably holds heat in better than paper. It's also not porous, so the liquids won't leak. But having never used paper, I'm only speculating.

Comment

When I used pink butcher paper The first and only time to wrap a brisket in the stall it seemed to let out too much moisture compared to tinfoil for the way I cook, I like my results with tinfoil. I am sure if I used the butcher paper more I would be better at using it.

Comment

This is a preference issue, of course. I've become a devote of paper wrap, and I only wrap Brisket. I've never wrapped a rack of ribs, nor a butt. Most of the time, my briskets would get crunch on the Jambo if I don't wrap, causing the thinner parts to be wasted. If I cooked them at 225 in the WSM, they might make the whole cook without wrapping.

Butcher paper WILL hold the liquids that the brisket generates. I've never tried adding liquids to it and asking the paper to hold that. I bought the cheap paper cutting and holding rack from webstrauntstore and a 24 inch roll. Both work great. As a side note, butcher paper makes an outstanding table cover for your cutting table!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9731.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	222983

If time is short, and I need to advance things more quickly, foil wrap and adding a little brazing liquid is defiantly the way to go. I would like to do a side-by-side of the 3, foil, paper and naked. Fortunately for us, Aaron Franklin has done so already, https://youtu.be/lnRRDSYgdmw.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            They were great! Can't wait to cook some more.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            PaulstheRibList how many feet in a roll? I can get 500"feet of 18 inch heavy duty foil at Sam's club for $20.

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            @LA_Pork_Butt, it's 700 feet for $18

I was not a devotee of paper until I read Franklin BBQ. Now I won't use foil if I can help it.

Comment

• TallTrees
            TallTrees commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you talking about his book, or something else? If something else, please share what that is.

• Porterdriver
            Porterdriver commented
            Editing a comment
            Here is a link to a video that Franklin did comparing the three techniques, naked, foil, butcher paper. Very instructive. After seeing this, I only use unlined butcher paper. Hope this helps you.

klru.tv is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, klru.tv has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

• TallTrees
            TallTrees commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. I've seen that video, and it was very informative.

Add an hour to the cook time with paper. I like paper, I just don't use it much.

Comment

• TallTrees
            TallTrees commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought that paper, like tinfoil was supposed speed the cook, not slow it.

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            CandySueQ, are you saying a paper wrapped brisket takes an hour longer than an unwrapped brisket? Or are you saying that paper takes an hour longer than wrapping in foil? I know it does not accelerate a cook like foil does, but I haven't compared time, per se, from unwrapped and paper.

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Add an hour more (or so) than wrapping in foil.

It seems that people only wrap their brisket in paper, is anyone using it for ribs or butts?

Comment

• Porterdriver
            Porterdriver commented
            Editing a comment
            I used it the other day while holding beef ribs in a Faux Cambro but that was post-cook. So far, I have not found a need to wrap ribs or butts during the cook.

• TallTrees
            TallTrees commented
            Editing a comment
            I like to crutch my pork ribs, so that I can add a few different layers of flavor to them, while they're cooking, usually doing the 3-2-1 method or some variation thereof. I wonder if paper will make a difference compared to tinfoil.

What's the source for the "pink paper" that everyone seems to be using? Is there a difference between the pink and the white?

Comment

• SlushDeezey
            SlushDeezey commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazon. A seller called Burnt End Paper.

TallTrees - here's the AR link for the 24" paper. It's also available in 18", but I think most prefer the 24":

Butcher paper.

Comment

Wow, that's some expensive paper compared to tinfoil ... I think. I can't remember how much I paid for my gigantic roll of heavy duty tinfoil at Costco, but I don't think it was $39.

Comment

• Scotts@reliancecm.com
              [email protected] commented
              Editing a comment
              Just buy kraft paper, unwaxed. The same kind of paper your kids used in grade school. It works great if you follow what Franklin suggests. Cook at 275 and wrap AFTER the stall.

Comment

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              Look up at comment #6.2 billg71 🙄

• billg71
              billg71 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oops! Missed that!
              Last edited by billg71; September 22, 2016, 03:28 AM.

I've got a huge roll of the white paper that I use to make clean up easier on the counters. Does anyone use that for wrapping or will the bleach or something in it kill me? ;-)

I usually foil everything and I've been a happy with that but I'm always willing to experiment.

yummy, yummy, experiments!

Comment

• billg71
              billg71 commented
              Editing a comment
              There are all kinds of nasty chemicals in everyday paper, you might not drop dead on the spot but your next child might want to have a say on the subject. Better safe than sorry.

• Baby Back Maniac
              Baby Back Maniac commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not sure. When I bought it, I wanted something my kid could draw on and something to catch drippings on the counter for clean up (not cooking with). I didn't really think that something called "butcher paper" may not be suitable for food. Probably need to look into that. Thanks.

• Baby Back Maniac
              Baby Back Maniac commented
              Editing a comment
              That's funny, Jerod! lol
              Last edited by Baby Back Maniac; September 24, 2016, 01:23 PM. Reason: grammar

I use foil on the bottom and put three layers of paper on the top and roll it up boat style. Lets me catch the jus but not steam up the bark too much

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              That's a good idea!

• martybartram
              martybartram commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Did I get it from you lol? I got it from someone on here I am sure!

I have limited experience wrapping with any thing but Al Foil! A while back I was at the UPS Store and I noticed their small rolls of brown wrapping paper! I bought one and have used it once on a chuck over wrapped with Foil and into a faux cambro (cooler)! I was pleased with the results!
            Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Danjohnston949 - was that paper FDA approved for food use? If not, no telling what chemicals are in it. Probably not a big problem, but why take a chance if it's not FDA approved?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here