Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat prices?

I'm sure we've all noticed the increase in meat prices the last few months. I understand last year's drought in the west & central states caused an impact with the ranchers, which we're all feeling. Too, the price of pork ribs have skyrocketed lately. At a large club warehouse where I gather up my ribs, which as recent as back in March were regularly priced $2.49/lb (when other grocery stores, even 'budget' ones, were $3.49/lb on sale) has now jumped up to $3.88/lb, nearly overnight...and this is the cheapest around.

Does anyone out there have ties with the pork or cattle industries and therefore have a forecast regarding if this is temporary until supplies swell back up, or if this is the new norm?

EDIT: as of 8/19/14, baby backs are $4.69/lb
    Last edited by Huskee; August 19, 2014, 06:43 AM.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the next three years. I would say that just for beef, but less means more demand for pork and what not, so one goes, they all go. 2011 was when the drought got real bad for lots of folks. Not only did three beef plants close, but multiple feedlots closed. LARGE feedlots. Our brisket has been a steady $2.48/lb for a while. Beef back ribs are crazy at almost $3/lb. That comes to probably $12/lb for the actual meat you get on those things.

Comment

You know what really gripes me? Skirt Steak keeps getting featured as an awesome cheap steak (which OK yes, it is). This keeps up and it's not going to be cheap much longer, much like baby back ribs which have gone sky high lately. We gotta keep this secret a better secret. lol

Comment

• A Fid
        A Fid commented
        Editing a comment
        Tri Tip is another example, used to be dirt cheap until it caught on.

• airforcekixbutt
        airforcekixbutt commented
        Editing a comment
        The same with Flank Steak. It was a HOT item on all the cooking shows a few years back and the prices shot up over night.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
      We gotta keep this secret a better secret. lol
      On second thought, in the interest of cheaper meat, it's time to shut the site down....

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead not a bad idea. When the price of flour climbs we change it back.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes... We've got to be nimble.😆 If we manipulate demand, we can control the pricing.😆 Brilliant!

We need to study what OPEC has been doing to us for decades and reverse engineer their strategy.😎

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        freaking pinky and the brain over here

I asked the butcher at my local supermarket if he can get briskets (other than the corned ones). He said "I can't sell briskets when I have to pay $9/lb!" I about gasped. "You have to pay $9/lb for briskets?" He said "Yep, and I'm not doing that and THEN trying to sell them. If they go back down to about $3 or 4/lb like last year I'll get some."

OMG. I hate MI for brisket prices. I thought Meijer was bad for wanting $7.99/ for a small HOF.
      Thank goodness for online meat ordering. Delivered I can get brisket for about $5-6. Delivered. By comparison that's an excellent deal.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I've not bought beef all summer because of that.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been buying roasts and back ribs and such, and lots of burger. Strangely burger has been on sale a lot, I assume since the butchers can't sell briskets and other 'premium' cuts they're grinding it into more burger so the price is staying reasonable. I guess that's why certain areas get a rep for their regional recipes (CA tri-tip comes to mind) due to wide availability or lack of certain meats/cuts.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw a 10 lb brisket at Krogers last Friday for $45 but I didn't get it because I wasn't in the mood for a brisket

Originally posted by Aaron 'Huskee' Lyons View Post
      Thank goodness for online meat ordering. Delivered I can get brisket for about $5-6. Delivered. By comparison that's an excellent deal.
      That through Double R?

My butcher was supposed to order a brisket a couple of weeks ago but never did. It's aggravating.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        If that price includes shipping cost it's worth it. Their meat is good quality. It's not prime, but it's good high choice meat. This has been my experience with three pieces I've ordered. I've ordered two tri tips and a whole packer brisket. The brisket was probably the best of the three as far as meeting my expectations. I'm a little spoiled because my local grocer has all Angus. Every part of the cow they sell is Angus.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish Here's a 2-years-later update to this; the per pound price now is ~$8.60 to $11.72/lb depending how large of a brisket you get in the 11-15lb range. This is only Choice.
        Last edited by Huskee; July 18, 2016, 11:29 PM.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow talk about thread revival!

What's the best place to order online? I can't get a butcher to order even if I pay in advance.

Comment

I would google and find the best price, including shipping.

Wal-mart briskets are now $2.98/lb....whole $1 more than earlier this year.

Comment

This place isn't bad if you get the meat on sale. http://www.thedoublerranch.com/

Comment

I, too, have been dismayed (in lieu of a more vulgar expression!) at increasing meat prices. However, I decided to buy a CASE of baby back ribs at Costco (approx. 55 lbs. or 6 packages of 3 slabs, each) and saved $1.00 per lb.! (Approx. $8 to $10 saved per package of ribs.) Total savings on case: $55! Tri-tip savings (for a case): $2.00 per lb.! If you don't have enough freezer space for this large a quantity, do as I did and share an order with friends/family who have a freezer or who want to cook immediately.
            18 mins · Like

Comment

I believe I've started to solve my problem of being shocked at high meat prices. It falls into the category of "self-delusion." Instead of decrying high store prices, I remember what the same BBQ would cost in a restaurant and tell myself, "Hey, what a bargain I'm getting!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem Mike View Post
                I believe I've started to solve my problem of being shocked at high meat prices. It falls into the category of "self-delusion." Instead of decrying high store prices, I remember what the same BBQ would cost in a restaurant and tell myself, "Hey, what a bargain I'm getting!"

That's what I told myself when I spent $7.99 a lb on short ribs today. At least they were Angus.

Comment

• Eastonbeef
                  Eastonbeef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Take a look at what it takes to be certified angus. If the animal is approximately 50%black it is considered angus if it is choice or better.
                  A purebred angus is solid color. Kudos to the marketers of angus, but you can buy it at any Mcfastfood restaurant. Breed has very little to do with quality.

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The angus at my local store is pretty good. Though I'm not sure what color they were before they got processed.

Originally posted by Mayhem Mike View Post
                [COLOR=#141823][FONT=Helvetica]I, too, have been dismayed (in lieu of a more vulgar expression!) at increasing meat prices. However, I decided to buy a CASE of baby back ribs at Costco (approx. 55 lbs. or 6 packages of 3 slabs, each) and saved $1.00 per lb.! (Approx. $8 to $10 saved per package of ribs.) Total savings on case: $55! Tri-tip savings (for a case): $2.00 per lb.! I
                I'm headed to costco Saturday and ready to stalk up. I'm around ranchers and ranches a fair amount. These cows look like a giant walking trash bag full of bones here. Pitiful. Of course you could buy beef in raised in Argentina and the meat price is doubled because of a drought in Arizona.

Comment

Yeah, it's been ugly lately. A few weeks ago, I got a whole packer from my local butcher for $3.99, now even Costco is up over $6. I bought a small 5 lb flat yesterday so I could do a pastrami (Meathead's recipe/directions are spot on!) Like Mayhem, I just remember what restaurants cost and the fact that I like mine better Plus, I just started Atkins, so I've got an excuse to eat lots of meat.

Comment

I have some ranchers in the family and they all project prices flat to up. Flat only if 2 conditions are met, good corn crops and leaving ethanol behind. Latest studies say ethanol is worse for the environment and your car, so we will be turning a way from it, its just a matter of when. An estimated 40% of the 2013 crop went to ethanol.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here