Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How're you wrapping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How're you wrapping?

Hey fellas just curious on everyone's wrapping techniques for smoked meat; people use tin foil, people use butchers paper, and I'm way out in left field with my Newspaper technique. I find wrapping in newspaper holds in that flavour keeps that bark on barking. And all in all when settling a nice set of beef ribs? Keeps the crispness and keeps that juice inside YUM!
    Attached Files

My only concern with newspaper is ink coming off... it sure comes off on one's hands, I'd expect the same on the meat. I'm a butcher paper kinda guy thus far, but I have way less experience than most do here, and don't wrap terribly often in the first place.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      this is why fish and chips is no longer served in newspaper, shame I liked the ink taste

• CanMooseSmoke
      CanMooseSmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahah :P I never had no silly putty effect on my meets. Though would be interesting to have the comics in my meat, bring me back to my silly putty youth, just kidding haha.

I definitely agree with DaveD about not using newspaper. My fingers are almost black after reading the paper, I’d also be concerned about the ink coming off. Plus, after it gets wet isn’t it a pain to remove in one piece? I’d think trying to remove newspaper after a few hours, would result in it coming apart in soggy pieces.

Anyway, some people prefer butcher paper, with the belief it helps in keeping your bark from getting too moist, it’s more porous than foil. Some people prefer foil. The latest technique making the rounds is to use a foil boat, instead of wrapping it all the way. I’ve used both butchers paper and foil, with a slight preference to butchers paper.
    Last edited by Panhead John; July 3, 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      "Black Fingers Matter"
      Wow, you can read? good for you, my friend. 😜 😁

I only wrap beef brisket and ribs. I use butchers paper.

Comment

Put me down in the butcher’s paper for brisket and beef ribs column. I too don’t wrap anything else.

Comment

Most all newspaper ink in the US is soy based. I would still stick with butcher paper or some other food safe paper. IMHO.

Comment

Just did this to two pork butts on the smoker now. 12 x20 deep ss hotel pan, apple cider, cider vinegar and pepper flakes broth on the bottom. Using wire screens to elevate off the bottom. AL foil sealing leaving temp probes in. I like the final dripping in the broth to pour on after being pulled. Today these two 8 pounders really didn't stall at 275. I just wrapped at 180 7 1/2 hours into the cook. I do the same method for brisket. Never wrap ribs

Comment

• CanMooseSmoke
            CanMooseSmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            My wrap method for beef ribs since I prefer to do a dry rub, is to wrap it to let it settle, I find in my opinion letting my ribs settle wrapped in news paper, produces the juiciest outcome without sacrificing the quality of my bark.

• captainlee
            captainlee commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting method, I'll keep it in mind. That's the cool thing about bbq, so many methods to explore.

If they used a soy-based ink on the newspaper, I guess you’re good to go, otherwise, I dunno. I usually use butcher paper but also foil on occasion.

Comment

Foil for pork shoulder and pork ribs, paper for brisket and beef ribs

Comment

that pink-ish butcher paper I get from my wood supplier.

Comment

Foil for ribs, paper for brisket, a Dutch oven or pan for pork butt and cheesecloth for turkey. I have used paper bags for turkey and brisket, too. For turkey it works well. For brisket it makes a big mess. I would have no issue with newspaper other than the mess potential. I probably wouldn’t use the comic section because I wouldn’t want my food to taste funny.

Comment

• mcook2201
                  mcook2201 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rim shot on this... it was a good one! 😆

• CanMooseSmoke
                  CanMooseSmoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good one

I’m a foil guy, keep on forgetting to buy butchers paper....
                If you want to use newspaper go to the local U-haul, they sell boxes of plain packing blanks of newsprint if your concerned about the ink

Comment

Like others, I've been using foil for pork butt and butcher paper for beef or anything I want to really preserve the bark. (I have yet to have a need for wrapping ribs on the PBC.)

A cool trick for butcher's paper that I picked up from Matt Pittman/Meat Church is to spay it lightly with water. It makes the paper much more pliable and easier to fold.

Comment

Butcher paper for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CBCAC55E-BD05-4CAB-94FD-EE82AD5350BF.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1247022 This makes the wrap with paper easy. I got it on Amazon of course.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here