Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef/Dino ribs - price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef/Dino ribs - price?

I really want to make some beef ribs. But the prices are so high, I can only conclude that I'm not looking at the same stuff that everyone I see on the internet is making.

Costco has these beef ribs in vacuum packing, but it's like $14/lb and each package is about 20 lbs. Are you guys seriously spending $250 on a single cook? Is it just a special occasion kind of thing, or is there another cut entirely when we're talking about beef ribs. For comparison, their prime brisket packers are currently in the $5/lb range so a whole brisket ends up in the $60-90 range..

Can’t help but I’m very interested in this too. Always looking for the best price/taste ratio.

Comment

I haven't shopped for these in quite a while, but I have spent well under $100 in the past, and nowhere near 20 lbs. for the entire package.

Comment

I've bought dino ribs just once, from Porter Road, and it was $75 for a 6.3-pound rack, so that's just shy of $12/lb. Spendy to be sure, but good gawd they were the best thing I have ever made!

Comment

I remember when beef was the highest. The cow jumped over the moon. Hopefully, she will come done soon, about June.

Comment

FYI, I just checked Fred Meyer's, Kroger's, for beef ribs and beef short ribs,

about​$19.17​each​Beef Choice Back Ribs - $5.99/lb

about​$23.18​each​Beef Choice Back Ribs - $9.99/lb

about​$39.29discounted from$78.83​each​Choice Beef Bone In Rib Roast (3-4 Ribs per Roast) - $7.97/lb

Choice not higher grade. But . . . don't forget the

$18.99discounted from$22.99 Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer - 24 cans / 12 fl oz

Comment

Best place to source Dino ribs is probably Wild Fork at $11/pd. My rack is secure in my freezer.

https://wildforkfoods.com/products/p...=9371429732388

Comment

• DaveD
              DaveD commented
              Editing a comment
              I had not heard of Wild Fork before... looks like yet another good online meat source.

• bardsleyque
              bardsleyque commented
              Editing a comment
              those look awesome!

I get my beef plate ribs online from Wild Fork Foods. About $10.00/lb. last time a few months ago. The rack was just over 7 pounds so about $72 as I recall. So good. My favorite Q in fact.

Update: I looked at Wild Fork. Price is now $10.98/lb. Ouch.
            Last edited by Jfrosty27; December 27, 2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtw View Post
              I really want to make some beef ribs. But the prices are so high, I can only conclude that I'm not looking at the same stuff that everyone I see on the internet is making.

Costco has these beef ribs in vacuum packing, but it's like $14/lb and each package is about 20 lbs. Are you guys seriously spending $250 on a single cook? Is it just a special occasion kind of thing, or is there another cut entirely when we're talking about beef ribs. For comparison, their prime brisket packers are currently in the $5/lb range so a whole brisket ends up in the $60-90 range..

That price sounds like a Bone in Ribeye roast, that’s what Costco calls it here. Never seen that high a price for beef ribs.

Comment

Beef Dino Ribs are $75 for a 5 to 7 pound package at Porter Road. https://porterroad.com/collections/b...ucts/dino-ribs

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is actually a pretty good deal. They go out of stock quick so better order fast.

SierraBBQGuy - I think that's what it is, thank you for the clarification. It doesn't seem like that's what everyone means by "dino ribs" because there's a whole lot more meat.

I was there today, and they did have what looked more like the beef ribs I'm looking for. It was about $6/lb for "plate short ribs" or something to that effect, and it was the 3-4 bone pieces, but they had been cut across into short riblets. Not in the vacuum packs, clearly from the butcher in back. I think if they were left whole then it would be exactly what I want.

Those Porter Road and Wild Fork cuts look amazing. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEBB67A1-9E53-46D7-B0CC-81EA094D54E5.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1149742 Click image for larger version

Name:	360B38AD-5874-42A5-A929-7FF3EC50CCB8.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1149745 Click image for larger version

Name:	5C682880-3684-490A-9577-778C1F7649E3.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1149744 Click image for larger version

Name:	C9F21B0C-E356-4A97-A1CE-EB1D2115A004.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1149743 jtw Here’s my most recent cook of a rack of plate ribs from Wild Fork. Just in case you needed a little more motivation. 🤣😂

Oh heck. Now I need to order some! 🤦

Comment

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yum!!!

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    O! M! G! Now I have drool all over my keyboard!

Wow it has brisket at half the price I can get it around here and with free delivery!!

Comment

I buy my dino ribs at my local Korean market. They usually have them sliced thin in the case, but I get the butcher to sell me a cryopack of two slabs. I haven't bought any since summer, but last time I did they were about $8/lb. Very nicely marbled, choice grade Angus beef. Right now they are selling the sliced ribs for $13.99/lb, but they usually will take a couple of bucks of since I am buying in bulk and they do not have to do any processing.

Comment

jtw -- What grade are the ribs you're looking at?

Comment

• jtw
                        jtw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can't recall if they're prime or choice. I don't think Costco sells select, unless I'm mistaken.

• Murdy
                        Murdy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If prime, I guess that price would make sense, since choice seems to be going for about $11. Still high though, but seems like everything is right now.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here