Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculate fat percentage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculate fat percentage

I like to grind meat for sausage and burgers. Mostly grind chuck and pork shoulder. I’m wondering if there is any scientific method to calculate the %fat in the meat, not just a WAG. Comparing two chuck roasts side by side, there can be huge differences.

I bet Alton Brown could come up with a way to measure the circumference, thickness and total weight to make this calculation, LOL

"scientific method to calculate the %fat in the meat, not just a WAG" don't you mean SWAG.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, you are funny pkadare

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv good thing one of us is.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      "scientific method to calculate . . ." plus WAG = SWAG.

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
    "scientific method to calculate the %fat in the meat, not just a WAG" don't you mean SWAG.

WAG - wild ass guess

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha ha too funny.

Generally I cube the meat before grinding and I separate meat and fat cubes. I then weigh each group and then run the math to ensure the right mix (usually 70/30).

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      This is about as close as you can come, but even doing this it will be approximate as the meat won't be 100% lean. So, you'll have to estimate what the intramuscular fat is in the meat, then add the fat and figure it out from there.

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what I do as well.

I’ve never used any of these techniques, but they are from a university. :-)

This instructional video demonstrates two rapid methods to determine fat content of ground meat products.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here