Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Dinner Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Dinner Menu

The time is here …. And I’m wondering what others are doing, too …. Inspiration, discussion, creativity …. Let ‘er rip

Some of these things are utterly traditional, since we host Christmas Dinner every year for the last 20+ years. And some are new to be enjoyable and creative. We will have our normal 16-20 people

Appetizers
    Charcuterie Tray
    Vegetable Tray

Dinner
    Rib Roast - using Meathead’s method on the Hasty-Bake
    Double smoked ham with Chris Lily’s glaze
    mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Cheesy potato casserole
    Mac n Cheese
    Horsey sauce
    Balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts
    brown butter carrots
    apple and pecans green salad
    rolls
    cranberry sauce
    cornichon Pickles
    black olives

Dessert
    Chocolate roll up and whipped cream

Drinks
    Sparkling cider
    Assorted cocktails
    Several different bottles of wine
    assorted beers
    Soft drinks

What is everyone else doing????

Going to be simple bbq at my house. Son and family are coming over Christmas Eve. I have a small prime packer brisket from Costco. It’s only 9.5lbs untrimmed. I plan to toss it on the Recteq about 6:00 AM at 275. Hopefully it will be done by dinner time.

Simple sides of salad and mac and cheese. Of course the salad is to make us all feel healthy. 🙄

Comment

What time should I be there?

Actually being Jewish our tradition has been a movie and bring in Chinese food. Movie is out. Was hoping for this year but with the new surge we'll pass. And there's NFL games so I'll be OK.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Looks like food and drink along with family will not be lacking.
      Last edited by RichieB; December 19, 2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Both of my kids married into Christian families then ther is my sister in law (Padivano). So we've celebrated both for 50 plus years. Cherish the time.

I could go back to my late teen age years. My best friend Mario Manichella. Celebrated with him and his family. Very traditional. Christmas Eve fried fish dinner. I did not do the minnows or whatever they were. Tree decorated at midmidnight. Lot's of fun and allowed us to partake in libation.

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        RichieB Very similar here to ecowper. My family is Jewish, my wife's is mixed Catholic and Jewish. Her family celebrated Christmas and Hannukah. We would go to her brother's house for Xmas dinner every year - they had the full on Xmas decorations and tree even though they were all Jewish. Now, since it is just my wife and I, we have a tradition of going to the same local restaurant for Xmas eve, then movies on Xmas Day. Welp, movies are out for us right now, so down to Chinese takeout!

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Will be ordering Chinese food and maybe a special movie from Amazon Prime for dinner! My wife does celebrate, though, so I'm sure I'll be helping her prepare a tasty menu for breakfast and lunch.

Not sure of my plans yet. If I'm in town I may smoke a Click Akaushi chuckie that should arrive this week. Probably some mashed potatoes, gravy, and roasted green beans to go with it and possibly a Yorkshire pudding.
      Last edited by 58limited; December 19, 2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Since they are closing the province down because of the un-mentionable word on this site, not to much now.
        Christmas day is up in the air.
        Our son lives 2 hours away and it was agreed he would spend Christmas day with DIL's family instead of travelling that day.
        We were supposed to have the big meal boxing day but now that is in question because of the 10 person limit which is expected to be cut again next week.
        Of course all this came down after we had shopped and brought enough food to feed an army....whaddya gunna do....

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry buddy, that makes life tough. Could be worse, I guess. You’re not under Oz level restrictions

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, thank you.
          We'll make the best of it some how, hell, we did it last year.

• Stuey1515
          Stuey1515 commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper FYI Oz is like a wombat coming out of it's burrow, blinking into the light. As of last week we have had most of the restrictions lifted. Cases are multiplying rapidly but the talking heads are relying on our high vax rate to fend off the plague.
          Last edited by Stuey1515; December 20, 2021, 01:02 PM.

Oyster stew as always, but in Key West which is different

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That is definitely different. Enjoy

Christmas Eve -
        Carne Adovada
        Posole
        Tamales
        Various appetizers like chips and salsa, crackers, charcuterie board, deviled eggs
        My parents usually make Taquitos and Flautas, but I’m not sure if they are this year??

Christmas
        Rib Roast with au jus and grated horse radish root (will be using my smoker for the rib roast, finished with a sear on the grill) - and also will be using SPOGOS as the first rub that wrgilb gave me for Secret Santa fun!
        Hasselback Potato Gratin
        Roasted Brussels with bacon
        Salad
        dinner rolls
        a nice Cab or two, along with bourbon!

and a NY Cheese Cake with either cherries or blueberry topping - choice is yours

Comment

Got my parents, brother and his GF, and my wifes mom coming over.

Apps
        bacon wrapped scallops
        smoked salmon
        light cheese

Mains
        Smoked "roast" beef with meathead rub
        Frenched lamb rack
        Creamed spinach
        Scalloped potatoes
        Green been almondine
        Smokey baked beans

Dessert
        Chocolate mouse

im one of those idiots that likes to kill themselves in the kitchen instead of actually relaxing, lol. Should be great though.

Comment

We’re hosting on Christmas Eve. Normally I’d pick up a beef tenderloin at Costco and go with that. Wanted to try something different so I picked up a 5lb Wagyu prime rib from Snake River Farms and come cowboy steaks from Creekstone farms. Today my wife and I decided that to nix the steaks and buy another prime rib roast from our local butcher since the 5 lbs won’t be enough and I don’t have to worry about making two different kinds of meat. My plan is To smoke them on the Silverback and then sear them on my Weber genesis. Bought some grill grates this week. Sides are being brought by guests and I have a smorgasbord of beer, wine and bourbon.
          Last edited by radiodome21; December 19, 2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Beauty …. And you can come compare the Wagyu and Prime against each other

Going to my mom’s so no idea. I am taking some banana pudding. Problem is that all of a sudden my pandemic addled family (sister, niece, cousin) decided all they will eat is poultry and fish. And they are providing the poultry. I am thinking about doing a rib roast and just eating it myself. My mom might eat a slice, and maybe my cousins husband if she lets him

Comment

It is a well known story that there were 3 Wise Men who followed the Star of Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to the humble manger where Christ was born.

However, there was a lesser known wise man, or shall we say "Wise Guy", of the group known only as "Shemp". And while Shemp was once a revered member of the Howard sect of which he was begotten, he was usurped by a usurper known to the world as "Curly", a churlish dolt who curried favor with the Howard dynasty by being the foil to their cruel and violent shenanigans, but that is a story for another time.

Meanwhile, back at the Manger, the poor schlep Shemp arrived with only the few meager possessions he could carry on his ass. Those being his cloak, his Brooklyn Dodgers ball cap (autographed by Duke Snider), and a tattered but well read copy of The Great Gatsby. And as Shemp gazed in wide wonder at the newborn Child he wondered how could he honor this Glorious event with having only these few meager possessions.

Thus, he began the process of elimination.

First, his cloak. A tattered, flea-ridden rag spun from Gomorrahian camel hair. Shemp could not bear the thought of The Messiah swaddled in such vile wrappings, plus, it was freakin December and t'was cold!!! Cross that one off the list.

Second, the Duke Snider autographed Brooklyn Dodgers cap. You gotta be kidding me. Next!

Lastly, the copy of The Great Gatsby. Nah, to heady for a kid, even if He is The Savior. Maybe when He's a little older.

Our poor schlep Shemp was quite perplexed when suddenly, as if the Hand of Moe smote him mightily about the head and shoulders, it came to him. As the designated Pitmaster of this tiny retinue of Traveling Well Wishers he was in charge of, and had full access to, the larder in-tow.

Yes, an offering of sustenance!!! Hopefully, not a burnt offering.

But what, pray tell, would be a fitting offering to such a Glorious occasion? The poor schlep Shemp's brain raced from ingredient to ingredient, spice to spice, soup to nuts, ah, you get the point, when suddenly, as if his nose were caught and twisted by the Scissors of Larry, nay, as if his eyes were forked fingered by Curly the Usurper he saw clearly what must be offered to The Child of Light!

A Hot Dog.

And not just any hot dog, but a Brooklyn favorite Sabrett's hot dog! Yeah, Baby, all beef (of course), lightly simmered served on a steamed roll with spicy brown mustard and a bit of sauerkraut, a little hot sauce on the side for the grownups with a bag of chips and a Coke. Heavenly!

In honor of Shemp's Divine Inspiration that's what we're having Christmas Eve. Prolly a small rib roast for Christmas dinner, but He is the reason for the season and that's sustenance enough for me.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; December 20, 2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              Good story, CaptainMike. Uplifting, with an ear twist!
              Merry Ho, Ho!
              Last edited by Dick Anderson; December 20, 2021, 10:00 AM.

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              When I was a little kid my Pop would make dirty water hot dogs, and he'd do this thing where he used a kitchen towel to suspend the buns over the water to steam. One time Dad an I are making dogs and my sister walks into the kitchen while were putting the buns in the pot. She just stands there fo a minute and goes "WHAT! BOILED BUNS!?!" and then goes running down the hallway screaming "MOMMMMM, THEY'RE BOILING THE BUNS!!!!"

Also, Sabretts are great, especially if you can find the casing on ones

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Love those family stories mnavarre, thanks for sharing. Boiling the buns, hilarious!!

Being Italian Christmas Eve is the big meal. We are doing the Feast of the Seven Fishes, a tradition we have sadly let fall. We used to do this every year without fail. This year we are dedicating the Feast to my Dad who passed in February.

Christmas Eve Menu:
            Champagne
            Martinis
            Caesar Salad with Anchovies
            Baccala Salad - Salt Cod
            Stuffed Clams
            Cippino - Clams, Calamari, Shrimp, Scallops, and Halibut
            Linguini With Clam Sauce
            Banana Cake
            Cannolis

Christmas Menu:
            Cabernet
            Prime Rib
            gratin potatoes with Gruyere cheese
            Creamed Spinach
            Chocolate Mousse
            Last edited by Old Glory; December 21, 2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
              The time is here …. And I’m wondering what others are doing, too …. Inspiration, discussion, creativity …. Let ‘er rip

Some of these things are utterly traditional, since we host Christmas Dinner every year for the last 20+ years. And some are new to be enjoyable and creative. We will have our normal 16-20 people

Appetizers
              Charcuterie Tray
              Vegetable Tray

Dinner
              Rib Roast - using Meathead’s method on the Hasty-Bake
              Double smoked ham with Chris Lily’s glaze
              mashed potatoes
              Gravy
              Cheesy potato casserole
              Mac n Cheese
              Horsey sauce
              Balsamic glazed Brussels sprouts
              brown butter carrots
              apple and pecans green salad
              rolls
              cranberry sauce
              cornichon Pickles
              black olives

Dessert
              Chocolate roll up and whipped cream

Drinks
              Sparkling cider
              Assorted cocktails
              Several different bottles of wine
              assorted beers
              Soft drinks

What is everyone else doing????
              So, what time are we eating?

Comment

Christmas is on hold for us since one of the little ones in the family was exposed to someone at daycare who tested positive over the weekend. Daughter and son-in-law will have a PCR test done on our little granddaghter on Wednesday; results not back until Friday. We might make the 9 hour drive to their house on Xmas Day if the coast is clear. Otherwise, it will be leftovers (with a side of tears) for the two of us at our house. What a crappy time for a new variant to rear its ugly head.

At-home tests today showed the whole family was negative. Hope it stays that way.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; December 20, 2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry to hear this Kathryn. Christmas with Family is the best. We have had several small events cancelled recently because of Covid...

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is terrible Kathryn. I hope all stays well and you get to spend time with the family.

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sending love…..

Lobster Tails on the Webber, scallops and shrimp scampi on the Blackstone and twice baked potatoes in the Grilla.

Didn’t want anybody feeling left out Christmas Day.

Not sure how I’ll cook the asparagus yet.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coat the asparagus with a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice with salt and pepper and cook them on the Weber with the tails.
                  I cook mine till they blister than go for a bit of a char on them, always a winner.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you have a sous vide, pull it out. It makes perfect asparagus every time

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here