Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throw another case on the barbie!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw another case on the barbie!!

So last week I had a successful cook for 60 kids and word got around and I was approached about doing a cook for a faculty appreciation day next Friday, about 80 this time. I mentioned the Cajun Bandit door in another thread and went ahead and pulled the trigger so hopefully it will be here by cook time.
    My goal for this year was feeding 200 people, with these 2 cooks I am almost there.

If anyone has any testing ideas concerning large quantities I will be happy to do it as most of my tests have just been 1 test and 1 control. I'd really like to start practicing brisket, so if the prices could drop to $1.10 like pork butts that would be great.

I am thinking.... I am thinking........ It hurts a little though.

Comment

For briskets a 4 hour hold ain't bad, but it is better to just let them cool off at room temp until they get to 140 if you going that route. Then pop in a warming oven if you need to hold longer.

I cook them ahead of time and have awesome results just cooling at room temp until 140, and then chill, then reheating and serving. You just have to establish a mack daddy bark on the cook. Reheat to 165.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 30, 2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you reply to the wrong thread???

All are done except 1, used Spinaker rub (my little helper dropped a little much chili powder so we sweetened with a touch of white sugar) and they came out great.
      Bonus pic of why you get a good digital thermo, might be hard to see in the pic but WSM was reading about 245, prob was at 295.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ButtsDone.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	114884
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Temps.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	114883

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, those look great. How did the rub do on those butts? _John_

Spinaker It was really great, I hadn't tried it since I did my taste test thing last year and I remember it being a favorite of many people. As usual there were probably 10 texts about it being the best pulled pork they've ever had, 2 proposals (going through my wife which is a little funny, they said they could treat me better if I fed them like that) and requests for more.

I made plenty and I think it will be my go to for big cooks, nice flavor profile when it's all cooked up.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to Hear. But I must admit that I got the base from somewhere and tweeted it a bit to make it my own.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here