Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeno Pepper Relish (A Glorious Canning Endeavor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeno Pepper Relish (A Glorious Canning Endeavor)

Well my pepper garden is really kicking out some huge pepper harvests right now. However, being that October is right around the corner and the first northern frost isn't far behind, I know its time to start making one of my favorites. Sweet jalapeño Pepper relish. I love this stuff. I make it every year and its a big hit with a lot of the folks I surround myself with. Its great on sandwiches, dogs and brats, or just plain with tortilla chips, just about anything really. I am just getting geared up for this season. What are some of the other relishes that people make? Always curious to see what seasonal favorites my fellow pit masters are in too.

I will add some pictures when I start canning. (Maybe this weekend)
    Last edited by Spinaker; September 30, 2015, 10:34 AM.

DUDE!!!

This sounds great... we need details!

Comment

I'm with smarkley, details .. and pics!

Comment

Maybe I should have waited to post this.....The plan is, to do it on Saturday. I will write up a step by step deal on how I do it. I use small half pint jars because this stuff can be potent and you don't need much. Pics, recipe and technique to follow!! smarkley cdd315

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! No Hurry... there is lots of time, so don't sweat it.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds delish!!!

I make a jalapeno jelly which is great on cream cheese and water crackers. I haven't made any in a while, so I don't have pics, but I will share the recipe on request.

George

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would be interested in reading that.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          You got it. See below.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Love jalapeño jelly on cream cheese!

Hell Guys, I can't eat pictures send few jars to my address!! 😇😇😇😇 Dan

Comment

Mrs. Meat-2 loves herself some canning. Among the more exotics she does a great habanero jelly (cut with an orange bell pepper to make the fire manageable and emphasize the fruity taste of the habanero), a sweet and spicy tomato jam (my favorite, absolutely delicious on lamb and big red meats), a date jam (perfect with a cheese plate). I can probably get her to share the recipes if anyone is interested ...

Spinaker, looking forward to your recipe and pics of the jalapeno relish ...

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Count me in.

I think all hot pepper jelly and/or relish recipes would be more than welcome around here! Spinaker R2-Meat2 gcdmd
          Last edited by smarkley; September 30, 2015, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely!!!

Seek and Ye Shall Find
          Knock and the door shall be opened
          Ask, and it shall be given
          And the love comes a-tricklin' down.

HOT PEPPER JELLY

1 1/2 cups hot peppers (including seeds), chopped
          1/4 cup seeded sweet peppers, chopped
          1 1/4 cup vinegar, divided
          6 cups sugar
          8 oz. liquid pectin (Certo)
          Few drops green or red food coloring, as appropriate

Prepare 6 8-oz. canning jars.

Puree hot and sweet peppers in food processor or blender along with 1/4 cup vinegar until “liquefied.” Pour into heavy saucepan and add remaining 1 cup of vinegar. Bring to a boil.

Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir and add pectin and food coloring. Return to boil, stirring constantly.

Pour into jars to within 1/4 inch of top. Seal and invert jars for a few minutes. Then, set upright to cool.
          Last edited by gcdmd; October 1, 2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds easy!!! Thanks! I will give it a try!!!

gcdmd that's awesome .. I gotta try that!

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Let us know how it turns out.

Here is a hot pepper relish I make frequently... usually just eat it like Pico and do not can it. There a zillion variations of this out there... here is my simple variation

Cowboy Caviar
          1.5 cups of frozen corn
          1 can of black beans rinsed
          1/2 onion chopped real small
          1/2 large green bell chopped real small
          1/2 large red bell chopped real small
          a pretty good wad of cilantro chopped real small
          1 tsp cumin
          1 tsp granulated garlic
          salt - pepper to taste
          2 - 3 Jalapenos chopped real small
          2 - 3 Serranos chopped real small
          1 Habenero chopped real small

Mix all this with 3-4 Tblspoons of your favorite vinegarette
          Let sit in Fridge for a few hours

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks delicious. I've also see something like that done with black-eyed or purple hulled peas, but the combination of corn and black beans would probably be sweeter. Thanks, smarkley.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            @Smarley I love Cowboy caviar. That is what I use for the filling in my pig shots that I make. Huge hit!!

My garden usually goes for canning salsa. Not this year! Weather has been terrible. Hailed out once & cool spring/early summer weather has everything way behind. Even Farmer's Markets are short on tomatoes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here