Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS, Thanksgiving edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Loved the Homecoming when I was in college seeing family and friends. The night before was always a get together for all my high school buddies. Hanging with family sharing the meal. Love all the traditional sides and the bird. My Mom was an excellent cook. I took over when she passed.

This year is a tough one. First major Holiday since my Dad passed. First time in 20 years I am not hosting. (Though I am cooking the birds).

Unpopular opinions:
    Hate whole berry cranberry sauce
    Not a fan of cornbread stuffing, sausage stuffing, or potato stuffing.
    Pearl Onions in cream are terrible
    Candied yams no thank you please
    Last edited by Old Glory; November 21, 2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      This is me, love the holiday, love the food, cranberries are vile, pearl onions are torture, no sweet potatoes. Feel you on those first milestones after our parents leave us, too...

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      With you on everything but the sausage stuffing. I love the stuff and every year I wonder why I dont make it more often. In fact, I'm making twice as much this year as I really need solely so I can make sure I have plenty of leftover - which I'll reheat in a waffle iron. Stuffing waffles might be my favorite thing for Thanksgiving

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
    What, on earth, is this? I just googled that....that does not look tasty at all!

Comment

We have always had to do two as my wife is Canadian so we would have Goose in October and Turkey in November usually we have both fresh killed as both my son and I hunt so they taste much different from store bought birds.

Comment

• Murdy
        Murdy commented
        Editing a comment
        My Grandmother was Czech, so I always had goose for Thanksgiving growing up.

Trad. Thanksgiving food is not great but okay. My complaint is that, in our gatherings, we must have the same foods, and I doomed to cook the same foods, every blasted TG and Christmas. To suggest or offer something different is very unwelcome. Sheesh!

Comment

I revile cranberries and their sauces, of all forms. There, I said it.

Otherwise I love the holiday, in our family it was always the best day of the year. My wife makes an astoundingly great roasted turkey with many trimmings. We used to seat 25 every TxG, providing a place for wayward grad students and postdocs who were far from home and unable to travel.

Here are a couple shots from one of our epic Thanksgivings... the second one is after the food comas had fully set in.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	1130120
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1130119

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Love those photos!

I would agree that the "traditional" turkey day meal is not that great. But there are so many things I only eat this time of year that I love, pumpkin pie, egg nog, canned cranberry, yams/sweet taters with marshmellows.... all these things I love that don't fit in with the regular menu through the year. None of them are bad, or I wouldn't love them... they just don't mesh well with my traditional menu items.

Comment

I’ve always loved Thanksgiving. The food, family and friends, beer and football. You can still celebrate Thanksgiving and be thankful for what you have. The last several years have gotten a little smaller in attendance and I was doing most all of the cooking. I didn’t cook the traditional Thanksgiving feast last year, I made a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo. Much easier for me.

I saw an earlier post where people were putting down turkey in a roaster oven. Don’t know why, I’ve done it many times and it came out great! Sprinkled the bird inside and out with Tony’s, everyone raved about it every year. I’ve wanted to smoke the turkey before but got voted down. My favorite sides are the ones we made every year, green bean casserole, broccoli and cheesy rice casserole, yam soufflé, and my absolute favorite….cornbread dressing with giblet gravy. Like that even better than the turkey.

All that being said, no way in hell I’m cooking Thanksgiving dinner anymore. I’m at that stage of life where I just don’t want to put out all that effort for one meal.. and a few leftovers. If someone else wants to do it, I’m all in. I still love the Thanksgiving dinner, just not cooking it myself anymore.

Comment

• Sid P
            Sid P commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John Broccoli rice is my favorite side. Great stuff!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I normally hate broccoli, but this is the only way I’ll eat it. I agree, a good broccoli rice casserole is one of my favorites.

Originally posted by DaveD_SpaceBBQ View Post
          We used to seat 25 every TxG, providing a place for wayward grad students and postdocs who were far from home and unable to travel.
          I heart this so much.

Comment

Garrison Keillor from the ‘Prairie Home Companion’ radio show once said that there was little difference between the best pumpkin pie and the worst pumpkin pie he’s had.
            Mom’s pineapple yams are just propellant to jet the rest of the dinner out later.

Comment

• Sid P
              Sid P commented
              Editing a comment
              Bbqmikeg Great quote from GK, and I’m 100% in agreement. My wife loves to bake, so she always makes apple and blueberry pies along with the pumpkin.

I could do without a traditional meal, but. I love when people are together and laughing. So, the meal is a secondary for me. On Christmas and other family gatherings, I would rather it just be a day of grazing on various good snacks, then a sit down formal.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
              Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Loved the Homecoming when I was in college seeing family and friends. The night before was always a get together for all my high school buddies. Hanging with family sharing the meal. Love all the traditional sides and the bird. My Mom was an excellent cook. I took over when she passed.

This year is a tough one. First major Holiday since my Dad passed. First time in 20 years I am not hosting. (Though I am cooking the birds).

Unpopular opinions:
              Hate whole berry cranberry sauce
              Not a fan of cornbread stuffing, sausage stuffing, or potato stuffing.
              Candied yams no thank you please
              When my son was in college he was always hung over on Thanksgiving, all the kids from our small town came home and went wild with the high school buddies. Sorry to hear about your dad.

Comment

• Old Glory
                Old Glory commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha Ha hung over at dinner was the norm during my college years

This is weird and I will own it. I prefer "cranberries from a can" far more than any homemade cranberry sauce. I don't want a lot - just a tablespoon or two, however, don't try to do better than the can, because, well...you won't.

Oh, and pumpkin pie is a hard pass. No thank you. Give me apple or pecan all the way.
              Last edited by Sweaty Paul; November 21, 2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                +1 on the pecan pie! Or a really good coconut cream pie.
                Last edited by Panhead John; November 21, 2021, 06:50 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm the same on cranberries... I honestly hate them regardless... but I gotta have a few spoonfools chilled from a can every year... it has to be done.

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                My wife makes pumpkin pecan pie. It is delicious. Doesn’t taste like others’ traditional pumpkin pie. It is sweet and denser

A Thanksgiving tradition in my family is that dinner is served with two pies, pumpkin, which I love......and mincemeat (without the meat, btw), which I have never taken a liking to. But, it's a thing we do....

Comment

I’ll be honest. I don’t mind Thanksgiving because we more or less do what we want to eat each year. Some years, we do take out, other years we do steaks and I might have done pastrami one year, and some years we do turkeys. This year is a turkey year.

🤷‍♀️

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know it’s a long standing tradition to have turkey on thanksgiving, but I don’t think it is at all required. I am of the opinion that the Thanksgiving Holiday is about celebrating family, friends, health, harvest … and so we should eat whatever foods bring that holiday essence to its peak … for us. It’s individual and enjoyable and awesome.

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ecowper I mean, the downside of the flexibility is that it is just us two. Our parents are in California and Germany this year. And our kids won’t eat any of the turkey foods (one is vegetarian and picky and the other may try turkey this year).
                  Last edited by STEbbq; November 22, 2021, 08:21 AM.

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We're doing lobster tails this year, have done lamb chops in the past, often had goose growing up.

I absolutely love Thanksgiving. My favorite holiday. It’s about family and friends and gathering together over a great meal, not commercialized and all about "what did I get" like Christmas.

My unpopular opinion is that Thanksgiving is way better than Christmas :-)

As far as the food, I love turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy. I regularly cook that meal for Stacy and I except that I cook a chicken because cooking a turkey for two people seems a bit crazy.

ANother unpopular opinion — I love holiday jello salad … as long as there’s no cottage cheese in it.

Another unpopular opinion - I don’t give rat’s **s about football on thanksgiving. And no, the Cowboy’s are not America’s team, either.

:-)

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am OK with everything except the holiday jello salad. Say it ain't so! HA!!!! Andrrr - I didn't see your comment when I wrote mine. Hahahahaha
                  Last edited by tbob4; November 22, 2021, 12:00 AM.

• DaveD
                  DaveD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I totally agree that TxG is waaaaaay better than Xmas. And I also have no rat's asses to give about football, on that day or any other day. (Boy did that not go over well in Texas)

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DaveD I don't really pay much attention to football except for the Seahawks. And football on Thanksgiving

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here