Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS, Thanksgiving edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS, Thanksgiving edition

Can we be real for a second? Let down your guard and tell the people how you feel about it?

What is an opinion you have about the Thanksgiving meal that you know others will completely disagree with?

This is a no judgement zone, all replies and opinions are valid. (When in doubt, go for the funny)

I'll start:

"If the traditional Thanksgiving meal was that good, we'd have it more than once a year."

"If the traditional Thanksgiving meal was that good, we'd have it more than once a year."
    [/QUOTE]

I started thinking that as a boy.

For me, I find it annoying for all of the Christmas related things happening before Thanksgiving. Well, I used to, anyway; I have a lot other things that annoy me more these days.

Comment

I’m not a big turkey fan to begin with. So the whole thing is kind of a chore I put up with to please my wife. She is all about the tradition of having the meal. Not necessarily actually eating it. She eats like a bird and just picks at the meal. So we spend tons of time, energy, and of course money on it only to have tons of leftovers she will never eat and get trashed after a few days.

In fact last year I cooked the entire meal myself only to have her say she wasn’t feeling well and go to bed for the day mid afternoon. She slept right through and ate none of it. Not a bite.

Thankfully this year I talked her out of it completely. There you have it. How I really feel like it or not.

Comment

"It's a pity you have to have an annual holiday to remind people to give thanks which should be done everyday. A greater pity is that to many it is a day of gluttony and football rather than the giving of appreciation."

Comment

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          +1
          This one, exactly.

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          +2 on this one

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          How true. How many American's have a big feast on Thanksgiving, ostensibly to give thanks for their blessings, then run out hours later and trample people to get a good deal on more stuff?

Sweet potatoes suck regardless of how they are prepared

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          I like them savory but the maple marshmallow crapola can take a hike

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Hate those marshmallow and maple syrup covered pasty glue like things.

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed!

Traditional green-bean casseroles. Ugh. It's like something out of the early 70s sponsored by Kraft. Also, as I get older, I just can't do the carb and sugar overload of traditional Thanksgivings. (Although I do love a good cornbread dressing!)

Looking back, I was kind of lucky growing up. We never did traditional Thanksgiving. My dad would always carve up a turkey and cook the pieces individually on indirect heat on a grill (which was a PK clone) with some hickory wood chips, basted with Kraft Hickory Smoke BBQ sauce. I'm sure there was a side or two, but I don't remember what they were. That was some good turkey.

Comment

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Made from scratch can be pretty good, but the stuff with canned soup and store bought onion rings is pretty bad.

I got nothing. I enjoy family, food and sports. Football and NCAA BB in particular.

Comment

We’ve invited several people that had no where to go for Thanksgiving to our house. These aren’t strangers, just people we’ve met since we moved here that because of distance or limited time off can’t go see their families. I admit I enjoy cooking for a group especially if I catch a compliment or two. It will be two turkeys, one ham, and cornbread dressing prepared by the wife and I with the kids and guests bringing all the sides. I’m thankful that we’re so blessed with friends and family. Thanksgiving is my holiday.

Comment

As a turkey lover, I’m tired of hearing complaints about dry turkey. Smother it with gravy or cranberry sauce and enjoy. I love leftover turkey on sandwiches with mayo and bread and butter pickles or turkey salad with same. If the turkey is dry, help it out!

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, they whine & whine & whimper. Just tell em to shut up.

I am not a turkey fan. Frankly, I'd rather have chicken, or fish, or beef, or pork, or ... never mind, I was going to say tofu but that wouldn't be true . What is true is that no turkeys (feathered ones, anyway) would ever cross the threshold if SWMBO (who doesn't like them either) didn't mandate that we suffer through at least one traditional Thanksgiving "feast" every year. She still doesn't buy my argument that we should simply change the tradition a bit. Nope. This year like every other we're going to "enjoy" another sad, soggy turkey ... steamed in a plastic oven bag just like the Pilgrims did theirs ... even if it kills us (like it probably killed a bunch of Pilgrims).

I do like the sides ... at least some of them. Not the orange ones, though. No amount of marshmallows melted on the orange ones can make them edible.
            Last edited by MBMorgan; November 21, 2021, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Or squirrel mebbee.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              MBMorgan Smoked camel tongue makes a great side dish, topped with a little Miracle Whip!

• RichieB
              RichieB commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Panhead John. Now excuse me while I go puke.

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
            This year like every other we're going to "enjoy" another sad, soggy turkey ... steamed in a plastic oven bag just like the Pilgrims did theirs ... even if it kills us (like it probably killed a bunch of Pilgrims).
            I really don't mean this meanly but... look up how to cook it? It's not the bird's fault if you stick it in a bag and cook it poorly. (this goes for people who dry it out too).

Comment

Originally posted by MBMorgan

Do you seriously think I don't know how a turkey should (and shouldn't) be correctly cooked? That wasn't the point ...
              Sorry - I just see this stuff SO much and, well, I take some stuff at face value that I likely shouldn't.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you. I shall now return to the corner where I will sit facing the wall, moaning quietly and rocking gently while another turkey (after suffering an undeserved short, crappy life) is given a hopelessly inappropriate, steamy sendoff ...

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                MBMorgan , do you wear a hat when you sit in the corner?

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                FireMan - Yep. That one is more cone-shaped, though.

The leftover Turkey sammich on white bread with bacon and Swiss is better than the prior days meal.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Red Man I could do dressing instead of cranberry sauce.

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Both, my lord, it ain't that hard.

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                A piece of white bread on a plate rolled with as but of crumbled leftover dressing, then dark meat turkey smothered in hot gravy. Eat with a fork. This is Nirvana!

Cranberry in a can is the best component of the meal.

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
                USMCCrashCrew89 commented
                Editing a comment
                No meal is complete without that jiggly glob of cranberry still carrying the imprint on the can.

I actually cook turkey several times per year. I guess I am weird. Always purchase on sale right after Thanksgiving and Christmas, freeze and cook several throughout the year....oh well.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
                Michael_in_TX commented
                Editing a comment
                If I had the freezer space, I would do this. I actually really do like turkey. The turkey I smoked last year was phenomenal. (Thank you, PBC.)

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Our local supermarket ran a buy a ham and get a free turkey special last week, couldn't pass it up. I double smoked the ham then parceled it out and popped them in the freezer. Probably going to do the gobbler when we get home from grandma's next week.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here