Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS, Thanksgiving edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    Ham is a cold cut, belongs on sandwiches.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    If they're not, they should be.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    We're doing lobster tails this year, have done lamb chops in the past, often had goose growing up.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    My Grandmother was Czech, so I always had goose for Thanksgiving growing up.

• Murdy
    commented on 's reply
    Both, my lord, it ain't that hard.

• Wedunne
    commented on 's reply
    That's how my wife makes it. 😋

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    How do you really feel?

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    FireMan - Yep. That one is more cone-shaped, though.

• Attjack
    replied
    Turkey sucks. If turkey was actually good it would be widely available year-round. It's not even half as good as chicken and easily loses to ham as well.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    MBMorgan , do you wear a hat when you sit in the corner?

• CandySueQ
    replied
    The big dinner is 11/26. I have a SRF half bone in Karabuta ham. Going to make broccoli salad with dried cranberries, bacon, etc. I make W'ham Sweet Taters, which aren't sweet. Boil til barely tender, finish up in a skillet with butter and liberally season with W'ham Original Rub.

There will be smoked turkey -- I cooked the Turkey Smoke contest at the KCBS world invitational on 11/13. Turkey folks presented us with a giant pink blob with a small piece of turkey skin on it (only identifying marker!). I cut it into 2 pieces and trussed them up with twine, one was about 4" in diameter and the big one is 6". I turned in the 4" piece for the contest. The other one is whole and in the freezer. Thought I'd thaw it, inject with more butter and reheat via sous vide. Got some turkey necks to make gravy. Hopefully, the turkey is edible!

My brother's girlfriend is filling in the rest, with help from Trader Joes. It'll be a fine day! Especially if the Hogs beat Mizzou.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, they whine & whine & whimper. Just tell em to shut up.

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    shify scotch, bourbon, beer yep

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    Got a request for this for Thanksgiving. Goes well with ham.

• efincoop
    replied
    I dislike most big holiday meals aside from cooking to make family & friends happy. The meal seems to take on so much importance, the meaning of the day can get lost. I'm trying something different this year. I'm buying the Thanksgiving meal pre-cooked so I can spend more time with people instead of in the kitchen cooking!

That said, I am planning a post Thanksgiving day turkey cook. I ordered a pasture raised turkey on Crowd Cow and when someone here in the pit posted a 50% off sale, so I can explore some different flavor profiles. I plan to break the turkey down into its component pieces to I can experiment with the breast meat and smoke the dark meat for a turkey chili recipe I got off the Thermoworks site a few years back.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy the day!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here