Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ya like smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do ya like smoke?

Well, of course you do or you wouldn't be here.

But is there anything you have cooked that you didn't like the added smoke flavor?

The first time I smoked a chuck roast, I saved the drippings and made gravy. I did not care for the smoky flavor that added to the gravy, so I have not saved the drippings since.

OK - whatcha got?
    Last edited by RonB; November 18, 2021, 07:34 AM.

Hmmm... well I didn't cook them but I've smoked a few shirts and jackets. I now have a jacket just for this and it never gets hung in a closet.

Comment

I have heard people mentioning they use their pellet grills to bake, not sure I would care for even the slightest wood flavor on let’s say an apple pie. These pellet grills do impart a slight cooked over wood taste to the food.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        With higher temps on a pellet cooker you really do not get any smoke in my experience.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        For most pellet grills you wouldn't get much if any heavy smoke flavor at common baking temps. I haven't baked anything on my MAK since the new firmware but it chucks out pretty decent smoke well past 400F now so anything I baked would possibly have more smoke flavor than before the firmware upgrade. But then again, if max smoke absorption happens at lower temps, maybe it's still a non issue since baked items heat up very fast on the outside at least?

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Bake in a pellet grill works well. In a pellet grill the higher the temp the less smoke.
        My Trager has a super smoke mode that adds more smoke flavor up to 225*F. When doing pizza I start in the super smoke mode for the first few minutes, then complete at the suggested temperature. So good.

I did some Cheez-Its once on advice from here. Did not like. Of course, I tried to cold smoke with a smoke tube, just letting the fan run on my Yoder - I think I got bad smoke. They were bitter and gross. I threw them out.

Honestly not a fan of smoked cheese, and I tried smoking some eggs once in the shell on advice from a friend. Did not like those, either.

I think some things just don't lend themselves to smoky flavor very well.

Comment

• efincoop
        efincoop commented
        Editing a comment
        I did deviled eggs once With my inexpensive cocktail smoke generator. Just smoked the yoke mixture. They were a bit hit.

Honestly, a lot of things. There's a reason home ovens went to gas and electric, beyond convenience. I treat smoke as a flavor, and go from there.

Comment

Usually smoke once a week, grill 3-4 times a week. Nowadays we are trying to be a little more healthy so I don’t smoke ribs/butts/brisket super often.

Butterball white meat turkey roasts are absolutely incredible on the smoker. They’re the ones that look like footballs, in the frozen section. I don’t really care for the dark/white meat ones or the Cajuns.

Comment

I like smoke a lot, but I smoked a head of cauliflower last year, after seeing some do it on here. It was too smoky. The cauliflower absorbed a lot more than you would think. I think its fine grilled, but without an excess of smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post

The first time I smoked a chuck roast, I saved the drippings and made gravy. I did not care for the smoky flavor that added to the gravy, so I have not saved the drippings since.
            If you make homemade ramen: beef or pork drippings can help make a phenomenal smoky, rich broth. Give it a try next time.

Comment

I grill at least once per week and try to smoke 2-3 time/month depending on my schedule. I just got a new stick burner and I plan to to a pork belly & pasture raised turkey cook Thanksgiving weekend. Many folks say a clean burning fire on a stick burner will impart a very mild smoke flavor. I found that to be true on the 1 rack of ribs I cooked so far, so I look forward to experimenting with cooking different foods.

Comment

I have never gotten a flavor using clean smoke that I didn't like. I have baked chocolate chip cookies on my offset and I was disappointed that I couldn't tell the difference if I had done them in the oven. There really wasn't much of a smoke flavor. The times that I don't like the smoke flavor involve incomplete combustion and dirty smoke. I blackened jalapenos the other day on my charcoal chimney and I disliked the flavor because the chimney was putting off white smoke instead of clean, clear smoke.

Comment

I haven't experimented with anything other than meat on our BKK but pan drippings for gravy off turkey and beef are a big hit around here.
                  Everyone's tastes are different, no biggee.

Comment

I do not care for smoked seafood / fish. I will grill it but not smoke it.

No to smoked salmon, no to smoked shrimp, no to smoked lobster, etc.

Comment

this is a longer list for me than most..i don't like smoked:

peppers
                      cheese
                      fish
                      beer
                      liquor
                      hamburgers
                      and honestly i've done a few chickens on the smoker and i could take it or leave it

and there is probably more. i don't believe adding smoke will always "take it over the top"

Comment

I like almost everything smoked, with a few exceptions.

Don't like smoked cheese, and I WAY over-smoked some broth/turkey that didn't turn into the lovely soup I had imagined. I've saved drippings for gravy and found them to be just too much.

I've never tried smoked baking - apple pie, bread, whatever. I suspect that a bit is good, but not much more is too much.

A friend made a smoked whiskey sour for me last New Year's. Meh. Ok, not amazing.

Comment

Food talk doesn't go in the Off Topic channel

Yep, it gets old if it's on everything.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here