Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to Fall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Fall!

I made smoked/baked apples stuffed with ground pork, fresh sage, celery, onion and a touch of maple syrup. Cooked over indirect heat at about 225* for an hour with a single chunk of apple wood for some light smoke. They turned out great. The apples were warm throughout but still somewhat firm. The light smoke complimented the apple nicely without overpowering while the maple syrup added a touch of sweetness. Definitely tasted like fall. We served them as a main course with rice but they could be a great appetizer as well.

What???????????

Comment

They look awesome but we are still over 100° so no fall here...........yet.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        You the folks with that dry heat?

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah we got that dry heat too... like a sauna with no steam

• jgg85234
        jgg85234 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the humidity is finally dropping from monsoon season, so we can get back to "dry heat".

Still projected to be 104-106 for the highs this week, but into the low 70s overnight.

The only consolation is that it is BBQ season all year long!

Best regards,
        Jim

Interesting. Methinks I'd rather have a pound of cinnamon, sugar, ice cream and caramel with mine. You know, because ground pork stuffing would make the apple kinda unhealthy.

Comment

• jholmgren
        jholmgren commented
        Editing a comment
        Hah... oh yeah, unfortunately ice cream and caramel weren't on the dinner menu tonight. I have made baked dessert apples in the oven but never on the smoker.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        But seriously jholmgren, thanks for sharing this recipe. My family would love it!

I have NEVER seen an apple done up like that... it gives me crazy ideas.

Comment

We occasionally buy apple-sausage at the local farmers market so I figured these would be good, plus I have a decent amount of good Grade B maple syrup left from making maple bacon.
        An hour at about 225-240 over indirect heat and the apples were warm and firm throughout, not mushy. I brushed the outside with a bit of the drippings from the pork which helped with some extra flavor and browning.
        I used Red Delicious apples purely for their size. I don't generally like RD's for eating out of hand, find them a bit too mealy for my liking, but they were fantastic in this recipe. Just cut them up with a serrated knife and eat the entire thing. Next time I think I'll take a slice off the bottom to give me a flat surface for standing them on.

Comment

jholmgren, I just want to give you fair notice I am going to Steal your Stuffed Apple Recipe or as best as I can reconstruct it! I am Salivating as I post this! Thanks A Million (It's probably all you are going to Get). I purely love Baked Apples with Raisons and Carmel Topping, Cinnamon of course, Dan

Comment

No problem Dan - my wife saw it pictured on Facebook so I stole it from there. Happy to write up my interpretation of it if you'd like.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Please, Dan

I have stuffed pork with apples but never apples with pork, Eureka! What if you peel the apple and wrap it with bacon after you stuff it. I am going to have fun playing with this idea, thank you.

Comment

• jholmgren
              jholmgren commented
              Editing a comment
              I like where your head is at. My concern is keeping the integrity of the apple when you remove the skin. I was disappointed in the swineapple because the bacon didn't get crisp and the whole thing was a bit of a soggy mess because of the water in the pineapple. Apples have less water, but still not insignificant.
              Either way - good luck and let us see how your playing goes!

I love this, so creative! Apples and pork are soulmates, I don't see how this wouldn't be amazing.

Comment

Here you go Danjohnston949 :

8-10 Large apples (I used red delicious)
              1 small onion
              1 stalk celery
              1 lb ground pork
              4 leaves fresh sage
              Maple Syrup (approx 1/2-3/4 cup depending on taste preference)
              Salt and pepper to taste
              Butter

Chop the onion and celery fine and sweat them in about 1 T of butter with salt and pepper. When they are soft, add the pork and sage to the pan, turn up the heat and brown the pork until cooked through. Drain mixture in a colander over a small bowl (keep the drippings) and refrigerate the pork for about an hour to cool it down while you set everything else up.

Set grill/smoker for indirect and bring to about 225*. Toss in a small chunk of apple wood just before putting the apples on for some light smoke.

Hollow out your apples - make sure you don't cut through the bottom. A melon baller works pretty well.

Drop a few tablespoons of the pork mixture into each apple to heap over the top - don't pack it in. Drizzle maple syrup on top (I used about 1T per apple) and top with a small dot of butter.

Brush the skin of the apples with the reserved drippings, place on heavy foil on the smoker/grill for about an hour. Carefully remove with tongs and plate/serve. Serrated steak knives work really well for cutting.

Great appetizer or serve with wild rice for a nice main dish.
              Last edited by jholmgren; September 28, 2015, 02:18 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                Danjohnston949 commented
                Editing a comment
                Jim, Thanks a Million, my new Weber Performer is scheduled for delivery Tomorrow and I got a notice that the SNS had shipped, the Apples are ripe! Oh Boy, Oh Boy this weekend is going Great! Dan

• jholmgren
                jholmgren commented
                Editing a comment
                My pleasure Dan - have a great weekend!

Jim

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here