Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tourtiere and ketchup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tourtiere and ketchup?

I have made a number of tourtieres in my life. A favorite, freezes well. Then I see comments from Canadians that they like ketchup on it. Argh. I just don't think a recipe with spices like cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon needs ketchup, or would be happy with it. It is Canadian, so they have the say. I refuse, though. I don't even put ketchup on hot dogs or hamburgers. I do like kethcup, don't get me wrong. Not here though, not gonna do it.

Tourtiere? Not familiar with it... (googles).

Hmm... tasty. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20...ian-tourtiere/

But.. ketchup?? no. You might as well put ranch on pizza.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell that to my kids, ranch or dipping sauces on every pizza, it freakin revolting!
      And the wailing if I pick up Pizza and don't get dripping sauces, you'd think I beat them every night.
      Now I don't bring sauces home for the sh_t show that follows, like toast some bread and put ranch on it....

Dude....everything tastes better with 'red magic'....
    But your right we're definitely a nation of ketchupoholics.
    We go thru 2-3 bottles a month, but not on everything, we do have some couth....not much, but some.
    For the record I'm in complete agreement, I've never put ketchup on a tourtiere either, that's just not right.

Comment

I remember when 58limited made a tourtière and showed it on our SUWYC topic. The old posts on that topic are really messed up and the ones from 2020 are completely missing, so I can't provide a link to his post. However, he use the recipe from this video

I got all excited to make one like my French Canadian grandmother used to make. The only recipes I can find nowadays show a meat pie with a loose filling. The ones I remember my grandmother making had a dense filling, more in consistency like the British pork pie that 58limited posted a recipe for. I could be wrong--memory can be fickle--but I remember eating it cold (that's the way my grandmother liked it best) and it was amazing. It was so rich that you could only eat small slices of it.

So my question to Canadians out there--is the filling for a classic tourtière pretty dense or is it loosely packed as shown in this video?

TIA,

Kathryn

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        As a hoser who has both consumed and created loads of tourtière over the years, and who grew up in La Belle Province while I have seen both styles, the most common is the one in this video.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        When I was researching the Melton Mowbray Pork Pies I saw that other regions in Great Britain had different variations, some with similar seasonings to the Canadian Tourtiere but still a hard packed pork pie.

Kind of a cousin to a pasty? I have put ketchup on those in the past.

Comment

Oh My Meat Pie
        to like I do not lie
        When without I heave a sigh

Comment

fzxdoc It's been decades but the homemade tourtiere my grandmother, a Lavigne, made were packed to the brim with filling.
          Hers was more potato and onion or turnip, more root veggies than meat.
          If there was meat it was some kind of wild game or fish usually venison or salmon until she moved from New Brunswick to Ontario in the early late 30's early 40's.
          And bland usually just salt, very little pepper no other spices.
          But the crust, the crust was to die for.
          Tourtiere is an original pheasant food, whatever you had you put in the filling to make a meal, mention tourtiere around my mother, she turns green.

Comment

Disclaimer: I am not Canadian and I have never eaten a tourtiere. But, in thinking about that flavor profile with meat and spices such as cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon, I think that I can see the connection to ketchup. That is, it made me think of a local burger shop that offers among its condiments a curry ketchup. That stuff is great both on the burgers and the fries. It seems to me like ketchup on top of those spices is going in the same direction.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here