Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infantis Pattern 1080 Salmonella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infantis Pattern 1080 Salmonella

"[While the FDA prohibits salmonella in the foods it oversees — including dog and cat food — the USDA allows it in raw meat and poultry destined for human consumption."

Oh.

For years, a dangerous salmonella strain has sickened thousands and continues to spread through the chicken industry. The USDA knows about it. So do the companies. And yet, contaminated meat continues to be sold to consumers.

That’s why a good food thermometer is NECESSARY!! Yet most kitchens don’t have one!!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      A good thermometer also aids in better food. I may add.

I read that article last week and it scared the beejeebus out of me. Makes me not want to order poultry from any restaurant.

Good instant-read thermometer
    Good sanitary conditions in the kitchen and by the smoker/grill.

Anti-salmonella methods I use:
    • use disposable gloves when handling any poultry
    • wipe down the counters afterward with antibacterial cleaners
    • the plastic cutting board goes directly into the dishwasher. Then it gets a good scrubbing with a brush and antibacterial cleaner to get anything out of the cracks/cuts, gets well-rinsed and put away.
    • the sharp knives get dropped into the sink containing hot soapy water for a thorough cleaning especially where the blade meets the handle.
    • the Thermapen gets cleaned between temp checks below 160-165°

As many have said here before, salmonella is like kryptonite.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 8, 2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. I had a chicken sandwich from Zaxby's last week that had an off texture in the middle making me think that even though it wasn't pink, maybe it needed another minute in the fryer. I've never seen that with their chicken fingers, which I usually get on a salad. I waited to get sick but thankfully never did.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I do all of that except the gloves, but wash my hands constantly. And then hand lotion after dinner. Maybe I should rethink this...

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve R. and jfmorris , my husband and I have both had the same experience at Zaxby's--underdone chicken in their salad and in a sandwich. We haven't been back since.

Kathryn

We use vinegar and water to clean and sanitize. Works great.
    Also, a dash of bleach and a couple of drops of dish soap in water to dampen the kitchen towel helps in clean-up.

Comment

Good sanitation habits are always wise, but it'd be nice if the standards for human food were just as high as for dog food and cat food.

It's good that the FDA is looking out for our pets.
      Last edited by RobertC; November 8, 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

If everyone handled all raw meat properly and cooked it properly, nobody gets sick.

RobertC numerous people have gotten sick with Salmonella whereby the only poultry product in the house was raw pet food....what happen there?

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          They ate at a restaurant.

K.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc nope, they had the sero-type of the pet food

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Given the serotype of the pet food they either were so poor they actually ate it (sad...) or they fed their pet, then didn't sanitize surfaces/wash their hands and prepared food for themselves that was eaten raw, e.g. a salad. Or cooked to a low temp, same issue.

Pet food is served raw, hence the no tolerance for contamination there. I'd rather hope that people cook their chicken, which will kill the salmonella, eliminating the risk. Would it be nice to have no contamination allowed on chicken meant for us? Sure. But you're not getting your $1.99/lb chicken then.

You can freak yourself out all the time reading stuff like this but if you follow basic food safety protocols, it's just not a big issue. The larger problem is when things like lettuce are contaminated because we *don't* cook that.
        Last edited by rickgregory; November 8, 2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with you on the personal responsibility aspect. But what about when someone else is cooking your food? This doesn't worry me at all when I'm cooking at home, because I just assume that the raw poultry is contaminated and proceed accordingly.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R. - so, that's harder but it's why we now have clear food safety stickers in the window of ever restaurant here. Ironically, driven by a friend of mine who as a child was one of those hospitalized in the 1993 Jack In the Box e.coli outbreak (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_J..._coli_outbreak)

Every restaurant in the county has to display these and they're very clear https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/...em/food-safety

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          (for the second link above, click on the first item in the FAQ to see the image)

As I understand it, salmonella-free raw chicken would be impossible, It naturally occurs in chicken.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Well we could demand all slaughtered chicken be irradiated but that didnt fly the first time it was proposed, so...

Irradiation does not make foods radioactive, compromise nutritional quality, or noticeably change the taste, texture, or appearance of food.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m a big proponent of irradiated foods. I know that alarms some people, but I worked with radioactive materials for years. With the proper procedures and facilities you can sterilize a truck load of frozen chicken at a time. It’s the same with all the produce we import.

"Several European countries have dramatically reduced salmonella in poultry by combating it on the farms where chickens are raised. But over the past 25 years, the U.S. has failed to bring down the incidence of salmonella food poisoning — even as the rates for E. coli and other bacteria have fallen dramatically."

Comment

Originally posted by RobertC View Post
          "Several European countries have dramatically reduced salmonella in poultry by combating it on the farms where chickens are raised. But over the past 25 years, the U.S. has failed to bring down the incidence of salmonella food poisoning — even as the rates for E. coli and other bacteria have fallen dramatically."
          Now go look at how they did that. Most of it is through vaccinating the chickens and limiting, almost prohibiting the use of antibiotics. But limiting antibiotics means the conditions must be much more sanitary... and likely less crowded. If that's true (I have to go do some work so can't check right now), it will decrease yield per farm and increase prices.

In other words, we CAN do this. But it will likely increase prices and it will only reduce salmonella, not eliminate it, so people still need to do the common sense food safety steps.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post
            But limiting antibiotics means the conditions must be much more sanitary... and likely less crowded.
            S. Infantis Pattern 1080 is antibiotic-resistant, so I'm thinkin' it's probably good that limiting antibiotics means the conditions must be much more sanitary.

And, while people do need to follow food safety rules, it's kinda hard to predicate public and private safety on the perfect behavior of others. When my daughter was learning to drive at age 16 or 17, it would have been tough to rely on her perfect behavior to ensure her safety; I really did appreciate that we had a car with safety features just in case. It would be good if there were safety margins in the food we consume, too, so that not everyone needs to be perfect all of the time.
            Last edited by RobertC; November 9, 2021, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              So you are saying there are no safety margjns at all? Really?

Hm... so I missed the antibiotic resistant issue. I think the worst part about this is that no one in the government has legal authority to impose a solution. And, while I think zero incidence is unlikely, there are ways to control it (vaccination of the chickens, less antibiotics (which increase resistance) and, yes, irradiation of butchered chickens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here