Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled or smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled or smoker?

I came into this with a Weber as a griller, really never thought of smoking, maybe it even seemed even a bit overwhelming, as I had not even made good food on a grill, no way I could have done that well. I can say for certain now, if given the choice, I’d much rather cook 9 hours for you than 30 minutes, which is part of the reason I love dino ribs, I have moved a way a bit from the shoulder, although I have one to cook this weekend, also brisket, I really just want the point, and maybe need to source that, 6-9 hours is the money zone of relaxation, burgers and steaks, too quick, I’ve committed to cooking those over live fire, just to make it a more exciting cook to watch, not to mention playing with fire! .

which one are you, and did you switch?

I constantly try different things. Grilling isn't relegated to just burgers and hot dogs. There are so many techniques and flavors to explore. Grilling fits nicely into my weekday schedule. Weekends are when I can kick back some, relax and enjoy a drink and a cigar as I tend a nice long cook.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      You do make an excellent point, I do love a flank steak cook, and those similar style meals.

I enjoy it all. This past summer I experimented more with cooking than ever before, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. In the past it was always either grilling or smoking. Now it's everything - grilling, smoking, griddling, frying, pizza ovening, sous viding, and most fun of all, some combination of the above.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I have gotten more into the cooking with the food off the grill this year. That has been super fun to learn. I also took up home brew this summer to do while cooking.

I'm a mix of both. I prefer a long-smoked brisket to any steak or burger though.

BTW CreekstoneFarms.com often has brisket points that you can buy, which comes in twin packs, about 3 or 4 lbs each if memory serves (sadly they do not appear to have any right now). A couple times a year they are on sale too. I stocked up on a couple packs during the last sale. To me personally, brisket point is the end-all-be-all in BBQ.

Comment

I was a griller only for a few decades. And I feel I had become fairly good at it. But then I moved to North Carolina in late 2009 and everything changed. Everyone who cooks outdoors there has a smoker. So when in Rome….

I still grill often and still think it’s the only way to go for certain things. But I really enjoy smoking meats low and slow the most these days. It’s so rewarding, relaxing, and satisfying. And being retired, I have plenty of time for it.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I try to remind my friends, I have the time.. and a 6-9 hour smoke can settle the old brain a bit.

I will say that I certainly started out as a griller, grilling on various grills over gas or charcoal. As our old friend Dan used to say, I was a backyard incinerator when it came to the one kettle I owned a long time ago, mostly because I had no concept of the 2 zone setup or vent control on a Weber Kettle. So I tended to grill on gas or using the charcoal tray on my offset.

I've been fortunate to have been smoking since the early 90's, initially on a little Brinkman bullet charcoal water smoker (one of those crappy things that is open all around the bottom), then later on an offset that my dad handed off to me in the mid 90's. With the offset, I started smoking turkeys, ribs, and such back in the 90's, but I still didn't perfect things for a few more years.

When I first discovered Amazing Ribs I had acquired a couple of kettles, including a Performer, around 2016-2017, and I learned techniques on the free side that taught me a lot and upped my game. I joined in 2017, and being a member of this community has honed my cooking skills considerably - for both grilling and smoking.

I feel I do a mix still. I enjoy cooking on the flat top, as well as smoking ribs, butts or brisket all day long. I would call it BBQ and don't want to commit to calling myself a griller or a smoker.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I miss Dan.

K.

I enjoy all of it. From long, slow cooks on the WSM or Weber kettle to cooking over live fire on the parrilla. I really enjoy the process. With that being said, a hot and fast cook of well seasoned Denver cut steaks on the Blaze gasser is a great weeknight meal and always welcomed.
      Last edited by Hulagn1971; November 5, 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

It's hard to say. I guess that for me, grilling and smoking outdoors amounts to little more than just expanding my indoor kitchen to include heat sources (gas, wood, and/or charcoal) and flavors (mostly from the addition of smoke) that are only readily available outdoors to most of us home cooks. If pushed, I'd probably still classify myself as primarily a "griller" ... although that has shifted a bit toward "smoker" thanks to the OG pellet cooker. Neither my wife nor I are fans of belching post-meal smoke rings so the OG smoke profile suits us perfectly (plus I have never really enjoyed hours and hours of just tending a fire (I've done it over the years but not too happily)) ... and it's always nice to not worry about setting off smoke detectors.

Edit: I forgot to mention baking outside in the OG. At high temps suitable for sourdough boules and pizza, the smoke profile is about as light as it gets while still being perceptible ... and (bonus!) to my wife's delight, the kitchen doesn't get overheated.
      Last edited by MBMorgan; November 5, 2021, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife and I are in the same camp regarding the lighter smoke profile for out pellet cooker. It allows the flavor of the meat to shine through.

Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
      I came into this with a Weber as a griller, really never thought of smoking, maybe it even seemed even a bit overwhelming, as I had not even made good food on a grill, no way I could have done that well. I can say for certain now, if given the choice, I’d much rather cook 9 hours for you than 30 minutes, which is part of the reason I love dino ribs, I have moved a way a bit from the shoulder, although I have one to cook this weekend, also brisket, I really just want the point, and maybe need to source that, 6-9 hours is the money zone of relaxation, burgers and steaks, too quick, I’ve committed to cooking those over live fire, just to make it a more exciting cook to watch, not to mention playing with fire! .

which one are you, and did you switch?
      Totally agree!

Comment

I showed up here strictly a griller, equipped with a Brinkmann Professional charcoal grill. I don't think you can even buy those anymore, but it was a nice grill and I was pretty good at grilling things. I really wanted to learn how to smoke meat, though. So here I am.

I can't say I really have a preference. It's more about being skilled at both so I can cook whatever I want. There are very few people I know in real life who know how to make decent bbq at home, so I feel like I have that going for me.
        Last edited by Steve R.; November 5, 2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

I started off with a Kenmore gas grill in 1999 and after about 5 years the burners failed sometime around May. I didn’t want to replace them or buy a new grill at that time so I gutted it and turned it into a charcoal grill. Loved the charcoal grilling. That fall I bought a Kenmore charcoal / gas grill combo. The next couple of seasons I found myself using only the charcoal side. I was trying to do ribs but I still wasn’t versed in low and slow cooking. My ribs always came out chewy. Did a bit of research on YouTube and learned about low and slow. The next spring (I think 2007) I bought my first Weber Kettle. LOVED IT!

Started cooking low and slow ribs, butt, beef and it took my BBQ game to a whole other level. I became the BBQ guy in our group of friends and was the one usually operating the grill at all get togethers. I didn’t mind, I love it. I can’t remember where I learned about Amazing Ribs but after I joined I came down with MCS and haven’t looked back.

Still grilling on my Weber Kettle, I’ve also added a 24” Smoke Vault, Original PBC, 28” Blackstone and this spring a Grilla OG joined my Arsenal. The PBC and Smoke Vault have now been put into storage in my shed. (I did pull out the PBC a couple times this past summer to do chicken halves for a crowd) I have the Weber and Blackstone built into a cooking center on my deck with the OG sitting next to it.

This past summer I used all three cookers weekly. I still work 45 to 50 hours a week M-F so the OG is mainly getting used on the weekends where the Weber and Blackstone are my M-F cookers. I like using them all equally. Grilling, smoking & gridding, as long as it’s outside I’m all for it. I don’t go camping, hiking, fishing or hunting. I’m a city slicker. But I do love outdoor cooking.

I love having people over and coming up with menus that use all three. Did this a lot this past summer and I don’t believe I’ve had a more fun summer outdoor cooking ever.

Comment

"I really just want the point" I agree with this sentiment 100%.

I like to cook so I would probably most comfortably fall into the griller category. If I'm smoking something tasty, that's the easy part, the make or break for the meal is really the sides, which typically take more active work, and skill in my view.

Comment

Both! But I use pellets for smoke when I grill.

Comment

I like smoking, and once I figured it out I found it easier than grilling. I consider myself as one still learning to grill. Since it is just my wife and me, I lean toward grilling. But I would rather do low and slow any time or smoke roast. Today I am smoking some turkey breasts.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smoked turkey breasts are BOMB, Sunny!
                  Among my faves!!!

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones Turkey has never been my favorite, but my wife loves
                  it. I used deboned breasts with the skin, and I brined and wet rubbed them on the bottom and under the skin cooking them at 225 for about an hour and twenty-five minutes. I really enjoyed them.
                  Last edited by LA Pork Butt; November 5, 2021, 08:30 PM.

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do likewise, boneless, season to taste, smoke em up...honestly, both yardbird, an turkey lurkey, I actually likeys me th dark meat, better...

Have ya ever done th turkey drumsticks? Or had em out at a fair, festival, etc. Hard stuff to pass on, fer me:-)

Stay safe an well, Brother! :-)

I do both, maybe grill a little more, but it's for practical reasons, just to cook some steaks, chops, burgers, whatever. I enjoy smoking more--both the process and the results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here