Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled or smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CaptainMike
    replied
    Oh, on any given day.....

Seriously, live fire is the most fun, smoking is the most satisfying, and grilling is more or less indoor cooking done outdoors. Well, except for that charcoal thing, but still pretty much the same.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    I concur and approve this message.

• ecowper
    replied
    Part of the issue of what I am is what the words mean. On the west coast, especially when I was younger, the words Grilling and BBQ meant cooking over direct heat, no top/lid on your BBQ/Grill while cooking. It included things like hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages, chicken, steak. The two words could be used interchangeably.

Smoking meant something down in the South with big chunks of meat in "BBQ Restaurants". It wasn't something done in the backyard. Although some odd ducks, here and there, had figured out how to BBQ their turkey for thanksgiving. And smoking was definitely not something us Westerners would do.

And honestly, as long as you could turn out decent burgers and your chicken never killed anybody, that was about all you were expected to do to call yourself a Griller or BBQ'er. The guy that had figured out beer brats on his Weber was king of the neighborhood. Most cooking over live fire was, honestly, reserved for camping trips and the three summer holidays: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day.

Now that I've broadened my horizons greatly on cooking outdoors with live fire, I don't really know what that makes me. Except someone that loves to cook meat kissed with flame and smoke.

Leave a comment:

• Redwng
    replied
    Both for me too. Growing up my folks had the Weber going every weekend during the summer (we lived in MI) so I understood how grilled food just tasted better. They even had one BBQ that had a rotisserie so they made chickens and ribs with that one.

After moving out my first grill was a small hibachi and I guess I have been graduating from that time. Being single I copied the method my folks had which was making enough food on the weekends to just about get through the week. I was buying a new cheap gas grill every other year as I used them often and they didn't last. The first time I bought a new Ducane (it had a lifetime warranty) for $600 back in the eighties it about killed me and I had to rationalize that purchase for a month before I bought it.

In the nineties I want to a pool party where a friend smoked a turkey and butt roast on a WSM and I was hooked. After a few cheaper vertical smokers, one RT pellet grill I now have a LSG pellet, a LSG offset, a Weber gasser and a BS flat top and all have their time and purpose depending on my mood, time and weather.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    I have been cooking over live fire "braai-ing" ever since my memory alows me to remember. When I joined up here I would smoke something every opportunity i could.
    Now my cooking habits have generally become a monotonous routine (not boring though).
    Monday's and Tuesday's I almost always braai. If I dont then its a indoor kitchen Sunday lunch.
    I'm on the flat top from Wednesday's thru Friday's. That leaves Saturday and Sunday for smoking and most of the time the weather plays along. So pretty much an even split between grilling and smoking.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    For me it has to be both. I started as a griller but it really just cooking in general to me. In addition to playing with fire, I just love to cook outside, does not matter if it is a grill, smoker, flat top or over an open fire pit. The type of food just really depends on the mood and what we want to eat at any given time. Good thread..

Leave a comment:

• Murdy
    replied
    I do both, maybe grill a little more, but it's for practical reasons, just to cook some steaks, chops, burgers, whatever. I enjoy smoking more--both the process and the results.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I like smoking, and once I figured it out I found it easier than grilling. I consider myself as one still learning to grill. Since it is just my wife and me, I lean toward grilling. But I would rather do low and slow any time or smoke roast. Today I am smoking some turkey breasts.

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Both! But I use pellets for smoke when I grill.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    "I really just want the point" I agree with this sentiment 100%.

I like to cook so I would probably most comfortably fall into the griller category. If I'm smoking something tasty, that's the easy part, the make or break for the meal is really the sides, which typically take more active work, and skill in my view.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    I started off with a Kenmore gas grill in 1999 and after about 5 years the burners failed sometime around May. I didn’t want to replace them or buy a new grill at that time so I gutted it and turned it into a charcoal grill. Loved the charcoal grilling. That fall I bought a Kenmore charcoal / gas grill combo. The next couple of seasons I found myself using only the charcoal side. I was trying to do ribs but I still wasn’t versed in low and slow cooking. My ribs always came out chewy. Did a bit of research on YouTube and learned about low and slow. The next spring (I think 2007) I bought my first Weber Kettle. LOVED IT!

Started cooking low and slow ribs, butt, beef and it took my BBQ game to a whole other level. I became the BBQ guy in our group of friends and was the one usually operating the grill at all get togethers. I didn’t mind, I love it. I can’t remember where I learned about Amazing Ribs but after I joined I came down with MCS and haven’t looked back.

Still grilling on my Weber Kettle, I’ve also added a 24” Smoke Vault, Original PBC, 28” Blackstone and this spring a Grilla OG joined my Arsenal. The PBC and Smoke Vault have now been put into storage in my shed. (I did pull out the PBC a couple times this past summer to do chicken halves for a crowd) I have the Weber and Blackstone built into a cooking center on my deck with the OG sitting next to it.

This past summer I used all three cookers weekly. I still work 45 to 50 hours a week M-F so the OG is mainly getting used on the weekends where the Weber and Blackstone are my M-F cookers. I like using them all equally. Grilling, smoking & gridding, as long as it’s outside I’m all for it. I don’t go camping, hiking, fishing or hunting. I’m a city slicker. But I do love outdoor cooking.

I love having people over and coming up with menus that use all three. Did this a lot this past summer and I don’t believe I’ve had a more fun summer outdoor cooking ever.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    I showed up here strictly a griller, equipped with a Brinkmann Professional charcoal grill. I don't think you can even buy those anymore, but it was a nice grill and I was pretty good at grilling things. I really wanted to learn how to smoke meat, though. So here I am.

I can't say I really have a preference. It's more about being skilled at both so I can cook whatever I want. There are very few people I know in real life who know how to make decent bbq at home, so I feel like I have that going for me.
    Last edited by Steve R.; November 5, 2021, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mojo0209
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard Chrz View Post
    I came into this with a Weber as a griller, really never thought of smoking, maybe it even seemed even a bit overwhelming, as I had not even made good food on a grill, no way I could have done that well. I can say for certain now, if given the choice, I’d much rather cook 9 hours for you than 30 minutes, which is part of the reason I love dino ribs, I have moved a way a bit from the shoulder, although I have one to cook this weekend, also brisket, I really just want the point, and maybe need to source that, 6-9 hours is the money zone of relaxation, burgers and steaks, too quick, I’ve committed to cooking those over live fire, just to make it a more exciting cook to watch, not to mention playing with fire! .

which one are you, and did you switch?
    Totally agree!

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    commented on 's reply
    My wife and I are in the same camp regarding the lighter smoke profile for out pellet cooker. It allows the flavor of the meat to shine through.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Such a great deal!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here