Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of Meat too high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of Meat too high?

Tofu BBQ, Say it ain't so.
    What's next? Tofu SPAM? Vegan Tofu "Spam" - The Foodie Takes Flight

"The Time Machine" H. G. Wells

Comment

Tofu is vile, I don’t think there is anyway to doctor it up to make it palatable.

Comment

The cost of meat will never be too high to make me eat tofu. Hell, I'll start shooting squirrels first.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Squirrel is good, I'd not wait for the price of meat to go up if I were you.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          holehogg, I would probably eat tofu before I do another coon. Murdy, I have had squirrel before, just wasn't my cup of tea. Rabbit now, I like some rabbit. And there are some running around my yard

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          klflowers -- My friends mom could make some delicious squirrel and dumplings, so far, I have not been able to duplicate it. If my only experience with squirrel was what I cooked, I prolly wouldn't be a fan either.

Tofu is good when prepared right. Boil some chicken and tell me how it tastes. Then marinate, grill, and sauce some chicken and tell me how you like it now. Tofu is the same. fairly flavorless protein that gets good when done right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pan-fried-spicy-garlic-tofu-recipe-photos-tablefortwoblog-1-768x1041.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1119150

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          I probably should not be so hard on tofu, but the stuff I have eaten has not been very good.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          As a little kid, I was a very picky eater. Fortunately, I keep an open mind and have continued to try things that I had previously not enjoyed. I'm happy to say I'm no longer a picky eater and that has brought me a lot of enjoyment.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I do tofu! Slice in 1/4" slices, then in 2-3" pieces. Dry between paper towels, dust heavily with your favorite spicy rub (currently Spicy Dizzy Dust for me). Pan saute in extra virgin olive oil until brown. This extends life of tofu. It's good for Hot N Sour Soup, mixed in stir fry or on a salad.

Mapo Tofu is wonderful. We prepare it at home at least one month.

Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 • Just One Cookbook

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks good. Too bad my girlfriend won't eat tofu.

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - You can easily make this without the tofu. It's just as good. Or don't mention what it is until after she eats it and comments on how yummy it is.

Not against Tofu. But it is time to start supporting that local farmer for sure.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Soybean farm?

Gentle reminder, food talk is not Off Topic, it is on-topic. Please use the Food channels to keep things organized. thank you.

Comment

• lemayp
          lemayp commented
          Editing a comment
          Tofu isn't food though...

Hey, there still some great deals out there on Chicken!!

Name:	Boneless Chicken 50 cents.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1119679

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude, love those things with a tray of iced cold draft beer....the next day left much to be desired but fun while it lasted.

Food isn't expensive....I just make enough to buy it anymore....

Comment

Name:	6EAF7403-D832-43D2-8AB8-6EFC6FFFB1C0.jpeg
Views:	122
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1120054

😝😋

Comment

smokin fool this bar is an institution in my area. They used to have PBR on tap, too.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment

bbqLuv

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              @ShielaAnn that sounds like my kinda place, sadly all the old beer haunts, men's rooms and watering holes that were sprinkled around the city are gone for the hipster patio's and cafe's or franchised eateries.
              Joe Jost's sounds like the Lambton Tavern where you could drop in for a coupla iced cold draft and a corned beef on rye, coupla pickled eggs for $5.00 with tip.
              ...boy, I must be showing my age here....
              PBR's are a recent arrival up here, brewed under license by Sleeman Brewing in Guelph.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Melanie-Brand New Key
              Got to love it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here