Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Polyscience Smoke Gun tips and tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Polyscience Smoke Gun tips and tricks

Looking for tips and tricks to using the Polyscience (nee Breville) Smoking Gun.

Tried to add a smidge of "smoke" to some chili meat last night (raw meat in bowl, cover bowl with plastic wrap, smoke tube under the plastic.... result: smoke all over the kitchen)

2nd attempt was a bit better after adding alum foil over the bowl. Jury is still out on whether there was any flavor impact, but that could be due to the massive smoke monster that was unleashed outside the container and didn't get to its intended destination.

Maybe we should have used a Ziploc bag instead of a covered bowl?

Suggestions appreciated.

I had to look that up, is that thing for real?

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had smoked cocktails. Smoked with a simular device it not the same. Real nice touch.

Ours came with special containers with a small hole to insert the tube to deliver the smoke into the sealed environment with the food. Isn't there anything like that available for yours?

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      Ours did not come with any special container.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      You want something like this: :

MITBAK 12 Inch Smoking Gun Plastic Dome for Plates, Glasses, Bowls, Smoke Infuser Cloche, Smoke Infuser Accessory Lid https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08247Q98F/

Amazon has a few in different sizes and quality levels.
      Last edited by STEbbq; October 31, 2021, 10:49 AM.

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post
    I had to look that up, is that thing for real?
    Yes it works surprisingly well. Especially on salmon or any type of pate. Polyscience has a few recipes on their website for smoked guacamole that reall add another taste profile.
    My husband loves it for brunsweiger.
    10 minutes in a covered wish adds wonderful flavor.
    Last edited by Debra; October 31, 2021, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      reminds me of something I had in college….oops, meant to post next post

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_185729.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1117710

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171013_185757.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1117709

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Reminds me of something I had in college

I went through a smoked cocktails phase and this is the best device. The website has some real treats for smoky drinks. Once in a while I still experiment, but most recently life is getting in the way and just getting the booze in a glass is enough.
    Last edited by Johnny Booth; October 31, 2021, 11:41 AM. Reason: Search for Polyscience recipies

Comment

Makes wonderful smoked cocktails with a kiss of smoke.

Comment

I have an inexpensive (discontinues) version I picked up on Amazon similar to this one (https://smile.amazon.com/CREATIVECHE...07KP2HXSH?th=1)

Like others I use it primarily for infusing cocktails, but I have used it to add smokiness to deviled egg filling. I used a glass bowl with plastic wrap over the top. I thought the flavor was rather weak, but all who tired it, diagreed and loved the added flavor. I have thought about trying it with raw meat before cooking, but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

took STEbbq recommendation and picked up the Smoking Cloche, tried it on an old fashioned cocktail last night.

Was mostly better than other methods, but smoke still pooofed out from the bottom edge. I didn't want to press down on the dome to make a better "seal" as I didn't want to stress the possibly prone-to-cracking plastic.

Some smoking domes have some sort of gasket around the base. What would you recommend to simulate this? Some shrink-wrap tubing along the bottom edge? Keep it simple with maybe some paper towel pieces along the perimeter for the dome to rest on?

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Some light pressure on the dome could work. Also like you suggest paper towels or even placing the dome on a dish rag laid flat could help. But ultimately, this is kinda the drawback of the device in that you cannot really get a perfect seal as some smoke will leak out but it is usually pretty minimal. You need to leave whatever you are smoking in the dome for at least 5 minutes if you want it to take on any smoke.

• WillTravelForFood
            WillTravelForFood commented
            Editing a comment
            STEbbq thought about the dishrag, but figured it'd get EXTRA smoky and not a positive clothes washing experience.

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            One of those silicone hot plate things could work really well.

Reading through this thread reminded me of a place we visited in Hawaii. The bartender made me a smoked Manhattan and I recorded the process. I know it doesn't answer your question about the Smoking Cloche, but I thought it would be a fun diversion for a Friday. https://youtu.be/hA02xV6-7JQ I don't know if I have ever fully replicated the quality of his drink, but I still enjoy my cheap little device. Cheers everyone!

Comment

A few years ago I went through a "phase" where I tried numerous smoked cocktails, but I never really thought they were very good. Either too bitter (smoky bitter) or not enough smoke to impact the flavor. I admit I have not tried a contraption like this, but I have been smoking ice for probably 4 or 5 years now, and that does the trick. It adds a touch (but a definitive touch) of smoke to any drink. I have ice molds for larger ice "pucks" and that is what I use. If you are only looking to get some smoke into a cocktail, I highly recommend it. I drop the ice into straight bourbon. Now that I think about it, I am almost positive I found the method on the free side here.

Edit: found it:

Add an unexpected twist to your bourbon, Bloody Marys, and cocktails with this simple recipe for smoked ice. While it sounds like a challenge, creating smoked ice couldn't be easier, requiring nothing more then some wood, a grill, and ice. The end result is a smoky BBQ addition to virtually any cold drink.
            Last edited by Joey877; November 5, 2021, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here