Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oleogustus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I think I had an uncle like that 😊

• RonB
    replied
    And here I thought that Oleogustus was a rather rotund Roman general...

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    started a topic Oleogustus

Oleogustus

"When we think about the way things taste, we often assign them one of the five basic descriptors: sweet, salty, sour, bitter, or umami (savory). But, back in 2015, scientists at Purdue University labeled a sixth basic taste: fat. The fat-centric flavor, also known as oleogustus, contains a high level of fatty acids and is the category foods like butter, lard, and ghee exist within. While an oleogustus food alone might not sit too well on the tongue, the magic happens when it’s combined with another of the basic tastes. Take a bite of a fatty piece of bacon, that combination of salt, umami, and oleogustus and your taste buds explode from a burst of a porky perfection. That first bite is often so good, it feels like your taste buds have just hit the jackpot. So it’s only natural that chefs and home cooks would find ways to use it as a menu’s secret weapon."

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here