Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Puff ball mushroom.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puff ball mushroom.

So I acquired through my sisters yard a small bowling ball size puffball mushroom. I’m thinking some oil, some seasoning cut it into steaks and grill? I have zero experience with this. First time I have even seen one in person.

what’s your go to with this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	210F0FFF-1249-4D5E-809E-15E633FF6CA3.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1112345

Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 19, 2021, 10:30 AM.

Unless you have an expert to trust your life with.

the wrong mushroom can shut down your liver and kill you very quickly. Even before you can get help.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      We took a guy in once that was sick AF after eating some wild picked mushrooms. He was dead in a few hours and the ER doc said his liver was basically liquified. I haven't eaten a wild mushroom since, I don't care who picked them. In fact, since then I regularly sterilize my liver with alcohol, just in case.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; October 19, 2021, 11:27 AM.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      "There is one good way to tell puffballs apart from its poisonous look-a-likes, you must cut the mushroom in half from top to bottom. The inside of edible puffball mushrooms should be pure white, like a marshmallow, or like fresh mozzarella balls, there should be no patterns, or marks or colors or anything other than pure white, and especially no signs of gills. If you follow this one rule you should be able to enjoy mushroom hunting for puffball mushrooms without worry."

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Puffball mushrooms are a fantastic wild edible but they have several deadly look-a-likes. Find out how to tell them apart...

Hmmm ... I've got zero experience with puffball mushrooms. Google? Now that's another story: https://www.google.com/search?q=puff...client=gws-wiz

Don't forget the pics ...

Comment

No clue, but be safe... https://practicalselfreliance.com/puffball-mushrooms/

Comment

I've eaten puffballs in the past. I found one last weekend as well, but it was a bit too far past its prime to eat. If it's turning brown, don't eat it. It's been a while, but as I recall, I'd cut into cubes or steaks and sautee in a little butter, garlic onion. There really are not dangerous lookalikes, except, if you have a smaller one and cut into it and it is the flesh is not uniform and smooth, but looks like it has different parts, that could be a deadly poisonous one, as Amanitas start in "egg sacks," but they are not difficult to distinguish. If you google search this, you'll find plenty of pictures.

Here's an article with pics of both: http://www.eattheweeds.com/lycoperdo...e-puffballs-2/
        Last edited by Murdy; October 19, 2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Here's mine. Along with a few oysters and a deer-plot turnip Click image for larger version

Name:	20211017_130312.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1112310

Comment

I wish I was smart enough to forage mushrooms. Guess I'll have to stick to wild game.

Comment

Yup, if it’s a true puffball you’ve got the right idea. Google chef voyager, it’ll talk about cleaning etc. Very cool.

Comment

The only place I'll forage for mushrooms is the produce department at the local supermarket.
                Enjoy! But more importantly, survive.

Comment

SWMBO does not like the looks of mushrooms, so no for her. If they taste good she will never know--she will never eat them.
                  We posted and laughed together on this one.
                  Close to 48 years of Marital Bliss.

Comment

• dubob
                    dubob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "Close to 48 years of Marital Bliss." Newlyweds! We're at 60 and counting.😁

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    dubob got to love it. 60 years. Congratulations.

RE: puffballs If you find a small mushroom which you suspect of being a puffball, cut it in half with a sharp knife. Puffballs are a uniform smooth interior, with no stem, no gills. (BTW, large puffballs are often 'riper', and the inside has already started to turn into the spores. That isn't yummy. You would want them when the interior is till firm and uniform.

On the other hand, if you cut it and it reveals the typical mushroom stem, this is NOT A PUFFBALL, but the 'button' form as a mushroom is growing. Soon it will reveal its stem and top, and be obvious. Those are the ones which you should not eat unless you are a good mycologist.

The only foraged mushrooms I will eat are true puffballs (I always cut them in half before using to confirm), morels, and chanterelles. The rest I wouldn't risk my life on.

DISCLAIMER: Don't take my word for it.

Puffball mushrooms are a fantastic wild edible but they have several deadly look-a-likes. Find out how to tell them apart...

BELOW: Puffball Edible. NOTE: NO stem, No structures

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1112357

BELOW: Note, looks like a puffball from the outside, but when you cut it in half, it reveals a typical mushroom structure. This is a deadly Amanita. It will kill you.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1112358

Comment

• Murdy
                    Murdy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Note how the flesh on the top pic is firm and uniform. As they age, they get water logged and a bit mushier and I won't eat them at that point.

Dr. Pepper You could easily add Chicken Mushrooms and Hen of the Woods to that list. Chickens are no-brainers to identify, and Hens don't have any lookalikes that will do anything worse that give you a stomach ache (and they're also easy to identify). I limit my picking to what you said, Chickens, Hens, and Oysters.

• Dr. Pepper
                    Dr. Pepper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with your additional edibles, Murdy

Well, from what I read of them, put it in the fridge right away, and use it quick, and if not solid white and gill free like shown in the photos above, toss it.

I liked this video a lot:

Last edited by jfmorris; October 19, 2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Pizza.

Comment

I've picked a mushroom or two in my day. I should get out there now!

Name:	GNcrSZd1O9w_MeJ-O_pTlx7bW-30No1aZM3Qqv6CSrXvROw4PkgQ84U5XPC51jERgyMLCy-JF3hBV46MVEwdvrGNECzqH-Fx39_Mp8FGn3ozN7o2b39Aghp5L48zsJrcpR51kHTX43vKZseGjqPrdgHwOyg1WfIDPUB1XgL82_5JUFVoacKbyoKq8eip-C5U6RMFbQnl2QWsjY-aXoGk0NntueG8Nv3yzNYEw6RgPENuygUVjZHSHRENhYbOUao
Views:	152
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1112523

Comment

All I know is that if the stems on these babies turn blue when snapped or bruised, then you're good to go....and go....and go !!

Comment

• texastweeter
                          texastweeter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hahahahaha...no comment!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here