Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Onions and Charcoal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Onions and Charcoal?

Alright. I just saw this on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. A BBQ place threw in an onion right on top of the charcoal/wood to smoke with the brisket.

Yeah, I have questions today.

I am thinking I will throw in an onion along with the wood in my ash bucket for my next smoke. Can’t hurt right?

I've done it a few times, couldn't tell a difference in flavor. I think it would work better with a shorter cook like a steak, I've seen them throw bundles of herbs on the coals too.

Comment

I did this with a chuck roast awhile back. I didn't really think it made any difference in the flavor, but wow the backyard smelled divine for a bit.

Comment

I have a friend who swears by rubbing a cut onion on the grates to clean them/season them. I don't think it makes a difference, but it smells nice and looks BBQ'y (is that a word?)

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          I do this, sometimes with onion and sometimes with lemons. Whatever's on hand. I freeze cut lemons for this purpose 😊

Did they soak the onion or herbs before, I'm thinking adding items that are too dry would cause them to burn and cause soot that would land on your cook.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          It was a quick shot/line in the show but it’s possible they did.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          When I did mine, I did take the papery skin off. As for the rest of the onion, well, it's mostly water anyway.

When I first saw your post I thought you were referencing this charcoal. I saw it at fleet farm the other day and was thinking it was awfully gimmicky

Cowboy® Garlic & Onion Hardwood Briquets are made from real Onion and Garlic, blended inside the briquet for added savory flavor to your grilled foods

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that does sound like a gimmick.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m enjoying their Pumpkin Spice charcoal right now. 🙄

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here