Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Evolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    To many things to make, too little time to make them!! I too like Milk Street 🤙

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    …and may that list never end 👍

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Chocolate covered Grilled Spam and Jalapeno chips,
    My memory is such that if I don't right, no wright, make that write down I FourGet
    I remember PBR and Cheese soup.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 14, 2021, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    I guess for Serious Eats I should really specify Kenji as I haven’t found anything else valuable other than what he writes. I usually cross check what he says on sous vide against my Joule app.
    Last edited by STEbbq; October 13, 2021, 07:01 PM.

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Lots of errors in many websites. Lots of poor organization as well. Also lots of life stories.

I pull it into paprika and completely re group the ingredients list, convert amounts and rewrite the method in most cases.

Many sites are good, inspired ideas, but with bad execution and documentation.

This site mostly and serious eats are reliable. Only problem with serious eats is that it is now serious ads. They have more advertisers on staff than food researchers now. I miss the old crews

• STEbbq
    replied
    Surprisingly enough, I am not a huge fan of allrecipes. The recipes always seem dumbed down or missing critical ingredients.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    replied
    For BBQ recipes I use AR (95% of the time) Serious Eats, Malcom Reed, and Jess Pyles. For non-BBQ I use Serious Eats, AR if they have it, and Cook’s Illustrated if it is not insanely complicated. I do think CI complicated things to seek perfection at the expense of the typical home chef sometimes. I will use random bloggers once I have compared 20 different takes on the recipe to be sure it is decent, but I’d prefer to learn more about the food culture than a blogger’s life story.

I do feel like there is a gap in the market for a AR-style take on ethnic foods, which is probably why I enjoyed Troutman’s taco chronicles so much.

There are a lot of great meals out there that I have eaten (Russian, Thai, Chinese, Bosnian etc) that could use some quality sites instead of SEO seeking food bloggers.

Chinese food in particular is not even close to the Americanized version and is far more spicy and flavorful.

Maybe I need to invest more in cookbooks for ethnic foods instead of the internet?

Last edited by STEbbq; October 13, 2021, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Lately my routine has been to leaf through the latest Milk Street issue, say "Yum, that looks good, I wonder if I can find those ingredients at our store" about 4 times, tell my wife "we should make this sometime" about 3 times and show her the page, then put it down, grab a glass of bourbon or rye, and plan tonight's pork chops, tomorrow's ribs, and Friday's brisket. If I'm feeling fancy (for me) throw in a tri tip with home made board sauce. Repeat.

I do want to broaden my personal horizons, starting with a great curry, then learning baking, but work kicks my butt and I lose motivation when I'm finally home for a few days. Whattyado....

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    My wife says I over research everything as well. Then again, I do kinda do that for a living too.

• DavidNorcross
    commented on 's reply
    Agree Richard Chrz this is why there is a very short list of sites.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    You make a good point. Although I go to the internet for photos that I would like to recreate. There are very few sites I trust when I feel I need some guidance. This site of course, beyond that I am.a serious eats fan. I’ve become very skeptical of websites with cooking knowledge. Hence why I like to learn it on my own in all trial and error.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I too have a running list. I have 3 or 4 sites that I frequent daily, obviously this is one of them. From those resources, I cull recipes and put them on the list. What happens is that I too end up going to the regular favorites, but also try to mix in new recipes. I use a software for my daily routine that I have used for many many years. It is actually developed there in Texas (Chaos Software). I use this to manage my day to day and it also holds all my recipes and future recipes to try.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    I have a list of 10-15 meals that I want to make. They get made as time and product availability permit. The list never ends and changes often.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    I generally go down the rabbit hole in researching various cooking styles and the why’s of those cultures, and how they imagined the ingredients, what did the food mean to that culture. Rarely do I look for recipe’s. I look for photo’s of food that I think look amazing, and then take my own approach to it to match my timing, and cooking methods that interest me. I have a few out there that even a few years later I still have not taken on. But, I generally try to engage in various techniques in those. Like, I am sucker for Italian food. So, there are some meals I have not tackled, but, likely I hold those dishes to such high regard, that I will hold back until I have sourced the quality of ingredients that I think they deserve, or that I think they will exhaust me, so I need to come up with the methods and timing so they do not exhaust me. But when it comes to something like Italian, I will research the differences in the regional differences in the meals, what wine or beverage goes with it, how do the multiple courses play out and compliment each other. My wife would say I way over research cooking, or pretty much everything in life. I am an all or nothing person. But I never tie a banana to my head. 😜

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I use Google Keep for many things and I have a note entitled "Dinner Plans" where my list of future cooks is kept. Sometimes the list is long and sometimes there are just a couple of items.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here