Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question I had for myself while eating tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question I had for myself while eating tonight.

Mod's I think this is the right channel. If not, feel free to scorn me and move.

While eating diner, I was thinking about "what am I going to cook tommorow"? I realized I do that almost every day. I understand those who are working families, kids, school ect. you need to have a weekly meal strategy. Me, a retired old fart who basically cooks for himself does not have these challenges. Unless I'm doing a roast, ribs or some other cook that takes prep and planning it's usually a quick cook. Last night stuffed burger, tonight pork chop. I divest quicky. I used MH's Pork Rub on the chop and Meat Rub on the burger. Oh so good! Plug over.

So, love to hear your approach.

Yes wifey and me are both retired and have no plan usually. I take meat out of the freezer and think about what I will do with it later. I usually work a rotation of beef pork chicken sausage more or less. But in between we do a lot of carry out. Very loose.

Comment

Get out of my head! It's not safe in there!!

Seriously, I was thinking of posting a similar thread. I get bored of some things and too often decide to order takeout which is pretty pricey. Sometimes, the take out is something I just wouldn't do (Oaxacan enmoladas) but too often it's some kind of stir fry (tonight I compromised and grabbed frozen but handmade Indian food)

Now that it's winter, I'm trying to do more meal prep - soups, stews, etc - that I can freeze and reheat on demand. For stir fry recipes I think I'm going to prep meat and veggies and freeze in serving size bags so I can grab them, fry and combine with rice and sauce.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Winter? It's like 90* here today Rick

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        it's 47F here :/

I have it easy. Whatever she says we’re having even if it is different from whatever the plan was.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        If the truth be told and not be scold
        She who must be obeyed has said what I made
        Back of my neck stands the fur
        She has spoken I must concur

Usually plan out meals each weekend, but buy fresh for the next day each night. Monday was venison tacos, today a venison bolognase with pasta and salad, tomorrow venison Chili Frito pie, Thursday dogs and or brats, Friday shrimp and grits.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Venison Chili Frito pie, I like the sounds of that
        I bet leftover pulled pork would substitute for venison
        Thanks for the suggestion
        The recipe would be nice
        Or may google it twice

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv pm me, I'll send recipe.

We wing it daily, but it's not hard 'cause my wife doesn't like pork, (except pulled pork on rare occasions), beef is unhealthy, and I'm not much of a seafood fan, so it's normally chicken followed by chicken the next day, and for a change, more chicken.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        What about lamb and turkey? Or bison?

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        "We wing it daily".... may be time to try thighs and breasts.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        @zero_vredit - nope...

There are just the two of us and, somehow, I have become the primary food shopper and cook. I suggest meals for the next 3-4 days and she agrees or tells me something she has been craving. We go from there.

I like to experiment and vary things around but she would be content with chicken, shrimp, and ribeyes, then repeat same.

Next week I have 'scheduled' shrimp po'boys, babybacks, beef tenderloin tips, chicken thighs, homemade posole, and a brisket on Sunday. We'll eat mexican one night at one of our favorite cantina. That varies the proteins, plus she will be happy!

Comment

Good question!
        My wife is the planner, and we pretty much have what she's planned us to have. Usually, she's got most days figured, and at least one day a week it seems like she's testing a new idea for a future big dinner with friends or a crowd of kid's friends. I'm her sous chef, so I make what she tells me to on those days.

On the days she doesn't have planned or doesn't want to plan, I take over as the seat-of-the-pants guy and make what strikes my fancy. Often it's something created with the excellent starting point of leftovers from her planned meals, or think up something on the fly. I was sent to the store for something to grill this weekend, and thus the ill-fated chuck roast! The ribs came out great and the burgers were good. I'm generally inspired by something delicious I've seen here, to be honest. If we're both worn out and it's too late to start new, we've got excellent Mexican, Thai, and American take out places within a few minutes of the house.

The Pit has been a good investment - its upped my game on the wing it days! And, even more on the days I plan ahead with a longer cook.

Comment

I neglected tommorow. Feltman's hotdog with casing. Stuffed with cheese, Leaning to habranero. Wrapped on bacon. Done on gasser (last 2 aforementioned cooks were). Most likely onion rings as a side. Salad as a starter. Really have not not put much thought into this. Some vino. Thinking Pinot Gris.

Comment

Whenever I ask for suggestions the answer is usually "whatever".
            Anybody have the recipe for this please let me know.

Comment

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              I often get the same suggestion. I find the recipe changes according to my whim.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              I need a recipe for "whatever" also, too!

I am a poor sleeper, so I often think about the next day or two's meals in the middle of the night. It's not uncommon for me to rummage through the freezer at 3am looking for ingredients or ideas. That's also when I surf through my Paprika recipes. By daylight, the decisions are made.

Kathryn

Comment

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have to be up thinking about stuff in the middle of the night, what to make for dinner is not the worst you could do.

We stock the freezer the pull something out each day.

Comment

And here I am thinking, "Should I finish this?"

Comment

I never know until about 15 minutes before it's time to cook.

Comment

I am truly surprised not one mention of Hot Dogs!
                  Really, no one plans on hot dogs?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                    GolfGeezer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Check your PBR levels. RichieB is making Feltman's HDs. Just sayin....

• bbqLuv
                    bbqLuv commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes hot dogs and PBR,
                    I stand corrected,

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here