Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jairo Dreams of Sushi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jairo Dreams of Sushi

RonB After watching your post on the making of Japanese knives, I thought of another film about A Japanese artisan about making and serving sushi. We loved this and it might be enjoyable for those who do like this style of serving seafood and related foods.

PS. If this the wrong channel, please move it to wherever is appropriate.

EDIT: As is pointed out below, the correct title of the film is "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", not "Jairo".
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; October 12, 2021, 07:13 AM. Reason: Incorrect Subject text.

@GolfGeezer That is how some people some roll?
    susihi A said to susihi B "wassabi"
    Last edited by bbqLuv; October 11, 2021, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Oy….😎

I agree this is an excellent movie. It helps to love sushi of course!

Comment

I've watched this a few times, some of my favorite take a ways...

I play a lot of video games, but the ones I remember being the most proud of were stupidly grindy. Newer games hand you everything. My favorite games these days, you can lose everything for mistakes. Just a thought on life... Specifically he tells his son when he goes to make the second restaurant "you must be successful, because you cannot come home now" and how his apprentice is so happy after years to be told he did a good job at something. Not saying we have to force suffering for the sake of tradition, but there's something to be said about the lessons and pride involved in earning praise.

The fact that he trusts each person in their field, the rice man, certain guys for this fish, certain guys for that fish.

And the maybe not so acceptable one, but still great customer service noticing left or right handed and male or female for portion and location. My wife will kill more sushi than I will so she would be disappointed by this gesture. But the fact there is intent in service is something missing from even mom and pop places these days. I don't expect the attention level equal to the above, but I shouldn't have to beg for attention for another drink or whatever it is.

Of course there's some sadness and sacrifice to all this too. But you have to take some of the bite off by understanding our cultural differences.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; October 12, 2021, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I thought I would take a short peek, but wound up watching, (and enjoying), the whole thing. Thanks!

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          pretty sure it's on Amazon Prime, I've watched it like 4 times... still watched it again this time on youtube with ads lol

Sushi is so fun to make yourself. I've watched many, many videos on sushi cooks, etc. Those videos inspired me to make sushi myself, and to be a better chef too.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
          RonB After watching your post on the making of Japanese knives, I thought of another film about A Japanese artisan about making and serving sushi. We loved this and it might be enjoyable for those who do like this style of serving seafood and related foods.

PS. If this the wrong channel, please move it to wherever is appropriate.
          It's Jiro.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Bkhuna Yup, Damn auto-correct. I'd have to delete the post to correct the Subject, since we cannot edit that part of a post.

I love this movie. His Sous chef for many years is Shiro, who opened a top rated restaurant in Seattle, called Shiro’s, strangely…lol I had the occasion to eat there recently. I can honestly say it’s some of the best sushi I’ve ever had and I’ve been to Japan many times!

Comment

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            I find that the cheap Sushi you get at the convenience stores (conbini) in Japan are better than 99% of the Sushi in America. True, you can get good sushi if you're lucky enough to live in an area with a large population of Japanese, like LA or a few other cosmopolitan areas. But for much of the country it's pretty awful.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here