Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Bit of BBQ History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. I don't disagree, but as mentioned earlier, that was not the original focus of my research, so it does lack that broader context. Thanks again.

• jroller
    replied
    Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
    We have BBQ History right here in Amazing Ribs:
    Barbecue History (amazingribs.com)
    Agreed. I actually read it, or at least parts of it, when I was researching my article. A must-read for anyone interested in BBQ history.

Leave a comment:

• Debra
    commented on 's reply
    And it is also very well written.

• Debra
    commented on 's reply
    I personally found the title of the article to be very telling as to what I would read in the content
    I was not disappointed.
    Thank you jroller and Troutman for the read and further enlightenment.
    Last edited by Debra; October 7, 2021, 09:15 PM.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I love history, and lately I've been really into food history. I find that there's tons of inspirations to be had when planning a cook from ancient times until now.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    A well written and researched piece, thanks for sharing. I like how you support several contentions with factual historical evidence.

As Troutman discusses at length, I think the missing piece is the broader historical context. What we call BBQ in the US is a tradition as old as humans. Slow cooking meat using indirect heat and smoke goes back as far as humans go according to archaeologists.

In another thread here in the Pit, I contend that what many are viewing as the peak of BBQ in the current time is really just another part of the very long innovation curve related to cooking meat for human consumption.

Very enjoyable read, though.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    We have BBQ History right here in Amazing Ribs:
    Barbecue History (amazingribs.com)

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    welcome

• jroller
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words and great feedback.

Leave a comment:

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    ...of my cookbook. Turns out, he was looking for info on whole-hog cookery, but that's when I first got to "know" him.
    Last edited by jroller; October 12, 2021, 11:34 AM.

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Adrian's book came out kind of in that in-between time after I had done all the research I cared to do, but before I started writing. I debated purchasing it, but held off because I was certain it would send me down another rabbit hole and I needed to get my piece done so I could, in turn, work on my cookbook update that I hope to be done with (won't happen) this month. Interestingly enough, I first became aware of Mr. Miller when I noticed someone @soulfoodscholar purchased the first edition...

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you!

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Great info. You're right, my focus was limited. Conyer's challenged me to look at one aspect of barbecue, not its overall evolution. In fact, my working title for the piece all along was "African American Contributions to BBQ" so that provided the framework for my research. You can even sense that focus in the intro. I edited the final title for publication, which I'll admit suggests the focus might have been wider. Thanks again for the kind words and the additional info.

• jroller
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here