Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear or not

Reverse sear works great in thicker steaks and hot and fast on thinner steaks. Searing first seems to work on all reasonable steak thickness.

My question is at what thickness does reverse sear start to become advantageous?

BTW, Traeger Timberline 850 gets up to 500*F, and with grillgrates I can only guess 600*F (?)

For me it’s steaks over an inch thick, any thing less and I get the grill very hot and flip them often.

Comment

For me:

All 'steaks and chops', regardless of the thickness - Front sear

All roasts, except Tri-tip - Reverse sear

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you, front sear worked for me tonight
        Last edited by bbqLuv; October 5, 2021, 07:43 AM.

I reverse sear close to 100% of the time, regardless.

Comment

Reverse sear for me, for anything roughly an inch or bigger. And especially tri-tip! :-)

Anything under and I prefer hot and fast. A thin rubdown of vegetable oil and turn about 1/minute until it's got a nice sear.

Comment

I do front sear. But I agree if over an inch thick, I do front sear. If under, I do hot and fast/flip until it's done.

Comment

I reverse sear on anything over 1.5 inches. Under that, I flip every minute or so using the SnS "cold grate" technique.

Comment

With the exception of flank and skirt, I reverse sear all steak. That's because I rarely buy steak that's less than 1 1/4" thick. Same with chops. When I'm feeling lazy, I'll use the sous vide and just sear....
              Last edited by Skinsfan1311; October 5, 2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I usually front sear on charcoal, reverse sear with MAK/Genesis combo. So, it’s often which grill(s) I feel like using determining the method.

Comment

Any steak that can't be cooked completely over direct heat without being carbonized on the outside could benefit from reverse sear. That pretty much means everything except flank, skirt, hanger and flat iron

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here