Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International Street Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Street Food

I don't know about y'all, but when I travel either in the U.S. or internationally, I always try very hard to eat as much local street food as possible. It's fun, cheap, and gives you some amazing experiences. Of course, none of us have been traveling too much recently, but that doesn't mean we will miss out.

I also only have about 4-5 cookbooks, and the best inspiration per page book is by far is "Eat Street" . I was actually reviewing my to-do cooking list for the other thread, and I noticed so many of the things I want to cook are in here, so I am going to cook a whole bunch of recipes out of this book eventually instead of pulling them off the internet. I did doner kabab last year, which was excellent, as the recipes include so many good ingredients to add new flavors.

Taste Atlas 100 Most Popular Street Foods

UCornered Market Best Street Food

One of the foods I did not see in the above links was Hong Street egg waffles!

I mention international street food, because I've watched a lot of the "U.S. food fair" tv shows here (hate the hosts, love the food), as I am sure you do as well, so I'm thinking international street food has more potential to deliver some new ideas for cooking for all of us.

So, what is your favorite international street food? Which ones have you had? Which ones are missing from the above lists? Which ones do you immediately want to cook?

This is a borderline street food. You could get it in various counters that opened to the street in Frankfurt, Germany. I really loved the Turkish Gyros made in Germany (might be more appropriate to call them Shwarma, but most referred to them as a gyro). The pita was thicker, they were highly seasoned (not sure how anymore), and served with crushed red peppers. Apparently, Turkish people started making them after they came to Germany, and then they evolved in Germany into something different than what you'd find in Turkey. I tried a place in Chicago that was claiming to make them, but they weren't quite the same. I'd really love to find some in the U.S.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      In England they called it a Kebab (which was weird to me because I always thought that was on a stick), it was ok but was definitely a late night drunk food. In Germany they call it Doner or Doner Kebab and it is heads above what the Brits evolved it to. I would eat a good Doner in a suit and tie... I would only eat a UK Kebab after 1100pm

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      The best Shwarma I had was in Bahrain... Dubai, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi and Saudi were also really good and had slight differences. Iraq we had vendors that had a good version every now and then, but not amazing. I haven't found anything in the US that is even close. I probably don't want to know what made the better ones amazing.

Street Food, does that include "Road Kill"?

Comment

Roadside BBQ in the Caribbean, notably a place that used to be in Cole Bay in Sint Maarten (the Dutch side) and several roadside places in Saint Vincent & the Grenadines.

I remember MOST the doner kebap in Graz, Austria. Dang. Good stuff, right there.

Comment

Scotchies Jerk Hut on the south side of the coastal highway just east of Sangster Int'l Airport.
        To absolutely die for, done the old fashioned way on an old metal grate over a wood fire and done right.

Comment

Yummy Chapati from a roadside vendor somewhere in Uganda and the sweetest pineapple I’ve ever eaten.
          Last edited by RichardCullip; September 30, 2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

When I eat out here in Portland it's usually street food. There are food carts all over the city.

Comment

#60 - Currywurst

I can't count how many of these I had while stationed in Germany back in the '70's. Every time I passed a Schnell Imbiss my mouth would water.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                Editing a comment
                currywurst and pomfritz with a wonderful brochen and a German coke (tastes different than our coke) was a weekly staple for me as a kid in Germany.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here