Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scorched my damn Sunday Sauce.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorched my damn Sunday Sauce.

Short ribs, country style ribs, sausage, home made meatballs, onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, artichoke hearts, San Marzano tomatoes, fresh basil and oregano…

Turned the burner to high instead of simmer. Not sure why. Ticked me right off, that’s for sure.

Ouch. That would have prompted a long string of non-Sunday language from me.

Like when I accidentally dropped more than half my cheap frozen pizza on the floor as I sat down to eat it Friday evening. (I was the only one home, so nobody could call me on extending the 5 second rule.)

Comment

That happened to me once. Brother in law was being a real brother in law and got me distracted while I was making my oil base. Luckily it was in the beginning and was able to get another batch going with minimal delay in dinner.

Comment

That stinks. Probably to late, but try transferring to a new pot without scraping the burned stuff up. Sometimes that can save it.
        Last edited by Old Glory; September 26, 2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          That is what I did. I added some sugar, and another can of tomatoes, and it’s… okay. There’s a very faint char, but it’s edible.

Happens for sure. For what it is worth, I botched dinner myself tonight. Was not horrible, just did not come together the way it should have. Part of cooking...

Comment

Damn that sucks! I'm glad you were able to make an acceptable recovery. Sounds delicious, BTW.

Comment

Sometimes it can turn out better than you expected. I had some carrots simmering 1 day and got totally distracted by a phone call. By the time I remembered them they were dark brown with no water left in the pan. They were as sweet as brown sugar. I’ve tried to duplicate that cook several times and it just never comes out quite the same.

Comment

Wow, That could have been worse, could have been me.
              I hate it when that happens.
              "Do you burn those steaks?" I was asked.
              Ah, . . . no I cooked blackened steaks, That is the char.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; September 26, 2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Well, at least you made a good recovery...

Comment

I just came here to say that brothers-in-laws should be better. Even after offering a subscription to amazingribs.com. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ You can take a horse to water……

Comment

I learned that it doesn't take much to inadvertently cook a sauce more than you'd like. The first time I made MeatHead's Carolina Gold sauce, I ended up cooking it over too high a heat and it turned this weird shade of orange and just tasted off. Second time I made it, I did over low heat and it turned out much better.

Comment

• Mosca
                      Mosca commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On my stove’s front left burner, if you rotate counterclockwise you get the big burner, with "low" at 11 and "high" at 7 o’clock, clockwise gets you the small inner burner, with "low" at 1 and "high" at 5. I moved it to a small back burner, and set it at "1", which is low on the burner it came from, but high on the burner I moved it to.

Oh, well. Three years from now I won’t remember.
                      Last edited by Mosca; September 27, 2021, 02:40 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here