Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cuppa Joe + Bonus Hot Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuppa Joe + Bonus Hot Dogs

Bout mostly always up fer me a cuppa Joe...

With alla th Hot Dog discussion, as of late, thought some might like this, as well...

What type of wood is best for smoking hotdogs? White Oak, hickory, Apple?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't rightly say, since taste is so highly subjective...

Widely known fact: even though I have like 14-16 typesa smoker woods to hand...I use Hickory bout 90+% th time...

Now ya got me wonderin if'n my Bourbon Barrel chunks from Fruita Wood might not be even better...

Gonna havedta take yet another hit, in th name of Science, I'd havedta reckon..."p

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I generally use whatever I have on hand. Lately I have been working through a box of maple and a box of hickory. I will need to re-order soon so let me know what is the best for hot dags after your research... ; - )

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      WILCO Brother!!!

IAEFUH, sez I...*

*If All Else Fails, Use Hickory lol

I know has me some apple, peach, pecan, mulberry, cherry, black cherry, black locust, walnut, white oak, post oak, bourbon barrel staves, mesquite, various grape an berry vines, etc., plus likely five, six others that ain't comin to mind on accounta despite bein up all night, I'm still on my first cuppa Cowboy --->>>u8iu8iu8i7<<<---Smokey on Keyboard, jus sayin "Howdy" lol Coffee...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 19, 2021, 08:46 AM. Reason: why does anybody ever edit???

HotDog nuts roasting on an open fire
    This post is singing to the choir

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Though I luvs me some hogs
      I'll settle fer some hot dogs
      So tasty an simple
      Like fallin offa log
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 19, 2021, 08:46 AM. Reason: p

Dang, this gives me flashbacks! I still have an Army web belt with canteen cup holder and canteen in my garage (along with my Army-issued helmet for god sakes).

1. The BEST cup of Joe I ever had was at the end of a 72 hour training exercise at Fort Dicks (aptly named) just before going to Nam. The exercise was for us to stay awake in our fox holes (hah!) and protect our line against the aggressors. I think we died . April in new Jersey, it was cold, not hot food or drink for 72 hours. At the end, the mess guys setup an outdoor kitchen with 55 gallon drums with immersion heaters, filled with water and then bags of coffee dumped into it and boiled. We got to dip our canteen cups in there - I'm tell you, the greatest cup of Joe ever was!!
    2. Then, in Nam, some decide to teach how to love scotch. Every night for 2 weeks, we'd fill our canteen cups with crushed ice (I know, where'd we get that in 100+ weather - dunno). Filled that with Cutty Sark, and after 2 weeks, LOVED scotch!
    3. Well, kind of not for everyone, but canteen cups made for great roach holders. That's for what's left after "one toke over the line..."

And now I have a new way to use the one in the garage - for hot dogs! Joy! Thanks Mr. Bones!

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      On big ops like Dewey Canyon, when whole brigades were deployed, we combat engineers would cut an LZ, they chopper in the infantry and air bourne. Hours later, Chesty WestyMoreland would have mess units come into the LZ with big containers of stuff: scrambled eggs, beef stew, s**t on shingle, chicken etc. was very, very weird. Made for TV combat. What can I say?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure as Hail beats cold C-rats, older than yerself, eaten usin th lid fer cutlery, imce.

Reckon I didn't either know, or recollect that ya was ACE, Brotheman!!! MUCH RESPECK!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 19, 2021, 10:49 AM.

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks man. Life has been a very strange journey to sure. When folks asked what it was like, I tell 'em it was like these movies (something I thought could be easily grasped): Platoon (real war s**t there), Apocalypse Now (bizarre, deadly, surreal) and Catch 22 (from Milo Minderbinder to Yosarian - the deadly absurdity of it all).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here