Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you neurotic like me with the microwave?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you neurotic like me with the microwave?

When I was growing up, I was always taught to put a paper towel over the bowl or plate in case the food got too hot and splattered (or exploded).

At some point in my young adult life, I realized you could input Power Levels. Essentially, it doesn't send microwaves (to heat it up) 100% of the time. But, if you put it on Power Level 5, it would only send microwaves 50% of the time. So, 1 minute at Power Level 5 would be 10 seconds on, 10 seconds off, until it reached 60 seconds.

Is this exactly the way all microwaves are programmed? Probably not, but you get the point. It heats up to the point of potential food-splosion, but then stops the microwaves. In that time, the hotter parts (outside) have time to warm up the cooler spots (inside) of the food.

I realize that I no longer need to put a paper towel over every bowl or plate I heated. I just had to use the Power Levels and time appropriately. I'm so neurotic about it, but I'll tell you what... I almost never have any splatter (unless I make a bonehead mistake of forgetting to use the Power Levels) and my food is heated much more evenly.

Here's my method:
    1. Judge what needs to be heated
    2. Make my unscientific yet experienced judgement of how long it should get AND at what Power Level
    3. Whack "Start"
    4. Judge how hot it is after the first time in the microwave merry-go-round
    5. Stir or cut open (if necessary)
    6. Judge again how much more time is needed at what power level
    7. Whack "Start"
    8. REPEAT as necessary until it's satisfactory heated to your liking
    It usually takes longer this way, but everything is heated evenly and I DON'T have splatter or explosions.

Are you as neurotic like me? Please tell me I'm not alone...

No I’m not ……….what?
    Anyways, I just nuke it, no messin around.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Better than "Are you erotic like me with the microwave?"

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Full power baby, let er rip
      Figure out the rest later

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      scottranda do we have to remind you again that this site is a wholesome, safe warm blanket. I don't think I want to snuggle with you again.

Neurotic Nuke'r ?

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Guilty!

I need an example.

Am I to understand that instead of nuking last night ‘s pasta and sauce for a minute at 100% power and burning my mouth off, you are doing a minute at 20%, a minute at 50%, then a minute at 40% before accidentally spilling the whole thing on the floor when you remove it?

Do you then crush steel bars with those super strong fingers?
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 15, 2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite is 1:20 at Power Level 6 or 7. Stir/Cut. Probably another minute at Power Level 6 or 7. Then figure out if it's done or repeat. Sometimes at the end, I nuke for 10 or 15 seconds.

#neversplatter

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! scottranda that is neurotic!

I have the best luck with the Microwave when I go with 10-40 second blasts of full power and then do it again if not hot enough. I'm hoping this gets me in the "Neurotic Club" since my Grandsons told me I was too old to be in their "Club" of neighborhood boys.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      That's pretty neurotic, but join my Power Level Club!

With ya on the power levels myself; my bride, nope, Give It Ya Got Scotty! My main reason isn't to prevent splatter, although that is a benefit. It is for foods that have butter/fat/milk, etc., mainly in pasta and rice dishes, but also veggies and leftover meats. I go power level 5-6 (50-60%) for double the nuke 'em time so that the sauces/butter/etc does not separate. Works like a champ.

Comment

Reheating bacon or burgers in the microwave? Be careful! It heats up SUPER quick! I'm a very experienced microwaver!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we know.

I just stick it in the microwave and push the button and hit cancel when I think it has had enough.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm hyperventilating.

Mo'power Mo' betta

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you used to eating super-irregular heated foods?

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        NUKE!!!

(stir)

NUKE MOAR!!
        (wait a couple of minutes, eat)

This is the power the Chicago dog gives one.

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could NUKE all Chicago Dogs on HIGH for like 10 minutes!!!!! No Power Levels necessary for that!!

You're not alone, maybe a bit more excessive than myself but I am close.

Comment

+1 for the power level button club.

Comment

To bring this full circle: I wish I could NUKE all Chicago Dogs on HIGH for like 10 minutes!!!!! No Power Levels necessary for that!!

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            You would be cleaning yer wave mochine often.

My Mom used to have one of those analog dial microwaves back in the day. She never really set a time. She'd just crank it up to about 8 or 10 minutes, and then go back and check it periodically to see if it was done.

Comment

I’ve used one of these forever. Prevents splatters inside the microwave. $5.00 or so at Wally World or wherever.

Attached Files

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              I definitely don't need one if I use Power Levels! Thanks for the thought though

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I let stuff splatter for a good two week, wipe with a clean J cloth then boil the J cloth in a pot.
              Makes excellent broth base for soups sometimes a stew, just add veggies.

• tmaan235
              tmaan235 commented
              Editing a comment
              Smokin fool, you da man !!
              Now I'm gonna have to try it

Yeah, if I don’t use a plate cover I just may lose a part of my anatomy due to hostile action🤣.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here