Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A case for confit and BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My deepest condolences on the loss of your wife. I hope that your health is improving and other employment opportunities are coming round.

Thanks for sharing this method it is intriguing!

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks very much. So far, so good.

And, according to Kenji and Daniel Gritzer (Serious Eats), in a sous-vide bag the duck will produce it's own rendered duck fat as it bathes, which not only provides rendered fat for that cook, but is recoverable as well for other uses (potatoes, veggies.) I have ordered 40 lbs (yikes! But it's 8 5 lb frozen packages) of duck 'drumettes' from Marx Foods, and will try SV per their recipe.

Change up your chicken wing habit. Throw a different sort of wingding with Pekin Duck Drumettes. Try them slow braised then finished on the grill, slathered with your favorite sauce. An irresistible snack!

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip rickgregory I've got some duck fat in the freezer (from roasting Bohemian style whole ducks), and I can put some of that in the bags as well, since I can later recycle the fat.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't need a lot for a couple of legs... a tablespoon or so. Usually duck has enough fat on it but if you get some with less skin/fat, add a little. Same if you do chicken since most chicken doesn't have enough fat.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used their process and it's not quite the same thing... but it's very good as it's own thing, to be sure.

I’ve been dreaming about doing another bbq competition, if this Pandemic ever allows. I usually enter the Silicon Valley Comp. In doing some poking around, I came across this, same technique as described here. I’m thinking to adapt this at next event.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/re...hicken-thighs/

Comment

I'm amazed none of my Mexican cooking fellows didn't mention Carnitas as another example of cooking in fat (in that case lard to be most correct). It's indeed a classic way to prepare proteins of all sorts. As mentioned it really is akin to SV in that the meat is bathed in a liquid that stays at a relatively constant temperature.

YouTube guys Jeramy Yoder and Harry Soo are on a tallow injection and exterior application kick. Although not a confit application, it sounds like your results may have been similar. I'm really not that adventurous and don't see how that would improve a Prime or for sure a Wagyu grade brisket. But I'm open to be proven wrong!!

Hope 2021 (what's left of it) finds you in better stead there chef. We look forward to more posts and ideas. Later.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with you on the tallow thing. Not to discredit them or their new process, but video creators need new things to get/keep interest in their videos. I've analyzed this with my thinking cap and I don't see practical benefit to outweigh the hassle. I'm open to be proven wrong as well but it won't affect my non-desire to do it.

• Strat50
        Strat50 commented
        Editing a comment
        You see, I discovered this by accident. I had made chicken leg confit and needed to Sear the outside, and warm up the innards, so to speak. So, I thought, why not sear in the kamado? I tried it and immediately loved it. The oily surface picked up the smoke, and the excess fat dripped away. The meat was already well seasoned. It was so freakin' good! After that, I started experimenting..

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here