Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A case for confit and BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    My deepest condolences on the loss of your wife. I hope that your health is improving and other employment opportunities are coming round.

Thanks for sharing this method it is intriguing!

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    If you're doing just a little meat, yes. But if you're doing, say, 2 ducks, it's not that much fat. And you can reuse it.

• shify
    commented on 's reply
    You can quasi replicate confit via SV but you don’t need to the sheer volume of fat nor cook at 200 degrees.

• Potkettleblack
    replied
    2020 sucked for just about everyone. I hope 2021 is treating you better.

This QCQ could be done as a QVQ, with say, a small amount of duck fat in the bag, done at 180 for a bit longer. It's a really nice technique.

In her BBQ Stars courses, Ariane Daguin actually suggests grilling the duck confit, taking care with flare ups, with a claim that it's a remarkable flavor add on to the amazing confiture.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    rickgregory I would see a SV advantage in being able to use a fraction of the fat that is required to submerge in a hotel pan. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Instead of using a half gallon or more of vegetable oil, I could use some of my rendered bacon fat, or duck fat, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by new2smoking View Post
    rickgregory Strat50 re: SV, that was what I was wondering. Why not put the fat and the meat in a SV bath, and try for a SV heat of 200. The SV machine will really need to be cranking, and it might be better to use a cooler, or wrap the tub in towels, etc, in order to minimize heat loss.
    Because there's no advantage to doing it via SV. You don't need the temperature precision of SV (it doesn't really matter if the fat is 200, 210 or 220F, really) and it's MUCH harder to do large amounts of meat in SV at 200, especially if you want significant fat in the bag.

It's just so much easier to submerge the meat in fat in a hotel pan etc, cover and shove it into the oven. The Serious Eats approach is useful if you want to confit, say, just 2 duck legs. But aside from that, eh.
    Last edited by rickgregory; September 8, 2021, 01:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Pepper
    replied
    rickgregory Strat50 re: SV, that was what I was wondering. Why not put the fat and the meat in a SV bath, and try for a SV heat of 200. The SV machine will really need to be cranking, and it might be better to use a cooler, or wrap the tub in towels, etc, in order to minimize heat loss.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Jim - confit is usually done in a pan deep enough to hold all the fat with the meat submerged which is then placed in an oven at 200F or so. Temperature precision to the degree (hah!) that SV maintains it isn't important. You CAN actually confit in an SV too https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-m...de-duck-confit

• jfmorris
    replied
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss and tough times. My condolences on your wire. 2020 sucked.

On the con-fit method, which I've heard of before - it sounds a lot like cooking sous vide, but submerged in fat without a bag. How do you maintain the 200F for the fat bath? Or is the pan the meat is submerged in inside your oven or something?

A second question - what fat do you use? I've heard of using duck fat. Not sure where I would get it, but just wondering what you use, and would beef need a different type of fat than chicken for example?

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Sorry for your losses and tough 2020. I hope and pray that life goes better for you. Your method of using confit on brisket sounds appealing.

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    So, so sorry for you and losses. Tough year for sure. You said your health temporarily, so I hope it's come back and you are healthy.
    Very interesting use of confit. I have only tried it on duck and then garlic, delicious.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    I listened to your story as I read. I wish you well in the years to come.

It seems the latest trend, although not new, is to add beef tallow to the wrap when wrapping a brisket. The Mad Scientist BBQ smokes the tallow first.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    So sorry to hear about your 2020. Thanks for sharing your cooking adventure through it, very interesting concept to consider and ties in pretty tight with some recent tallow brisket discussions. Someone needs to try the Q wagyu tallow confit Q brisket for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• Strat50
    commented on 's reply
    Salad oil. It wasn't a full brisket either, but about a third of one.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here