Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke too clean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke too clean?

I just watched a you tube from one of the bbq dudes and he said he didn’t like his smoke to be too clean, as it didn’t get as much flavor. Thoughts?

rob

I got the best tasting sausage running smoke so clean it wasn't visible. A wood chunk directly above a flaming burner will do that.

Comment

I get my best flavors when I have that thin blue smoke going. It doesn’t seam to have the bitter after taste that I get with a thick white smoke.

Comment

I am also in the thin smoke camp. In fact that is a reason why I love my pellet cooker so much. You taste the meat with a nice kiss of smoke flavor as an accent.

Comment

Selectable smoke profile? KBQ.

Comment

I have had my best results with thin blue smoke. It always starts white and billows when I first add the wood and the meat but within 30 minutes settles down to a nice blue hue.

Comment

I’m in the camp of smoke can not be clean enough. I like to look over and see nothing, I’m also 100 percent ok with thin blue as well. Would not smoke with dirty smoke, makes no sense, we have purposely chosen to slow down the process of cooking food, the details matter even more, or so I believe. I like Hulgan, I expect it as the fire is building, I also wait it out.
              Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 16, 2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Naw I’d rather have tons of soot and other nasty particulates on my perfectly cooked food

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I knew it!

If I heard a youtuber say there’s such a thing as too clean of smoke, that unsubscribe button would be clicked faster than Usain Bolt could finish 100 meters. Now maybe you forgot to put wood in a propane smoker and there’s no smoke, but too clean of actual smoke?

Comment

One time I made ribs on my stickburner using all pre-burnt (black & crackly) logs, intentionally. Smoke was clear 99% of the cook and the flavor was so mild I couldn't believe it. So yes, I believe it can happen. I prefer a little more oomph.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not sure, thought she did more coals shoveling but I'm not positive. glitchy

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I guess I misunderstood/misread that originally, sounds more like lump charcoal reading it again.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oh there you go restarting the pre-burnt wood thread

I find this topic very interesting. Honestly I think it depends on the smoker and preference on smoke profile. Everyone’s taste buds are different and every smoker produces different flavor.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +1

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    +2 White, gray, blue smoke, yellow with pink polka dots smoke as long as the food tastes good and isn't covered in some crud like Troutman says I'm good.

It's definitely better to be a little light than too heavy.

Comment

I don’t give a rip! Or better said, I don’t pay much mind. If I’m cookin on my kettle or barrel, I throw a couple, 3 chunks on & let her rip. Gasser? Chips in a tube or pouch, ditto. When they come out with a computer graph on amount & density & volume of smoke, I might consider. NOT!

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yessir, I agree with those cookers and follow about the same as you and don’t study it that far. But I’ve gotten too much dirty smoke on other kinds of cookers. However, if I’m bored enough I might get caught in a trance watching thin blue flow from the vents.

• bbqLuv
                      bbqLuv commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FireMan "I don’t give a rip! Or better said, I don’t pay much mind" and yet I read your comment. ditto. I don't give it no never mind.
                      Last edited by bbqLuv; August 17, 2021, 07:36 AM.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh good, Rip Van Winkle is back

Originally posted by Rob whatever View Post
                    I just watched a you tube from one of the bbq dudes and he said he didn’t like his smoke to be too clean, as it didn’t get as much flavor. Thoughts?

rob
                    I'd be interested to know which "bbq dude" said that.

Comment

• Rob whatever
                      Rob whatever commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Joe Yim.

• wu7y
                      wu7y commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Rob whatever I hadn't heard of him. For my taste if he likes his smoke "not too clean" I'd be cautious about his other bbq advice.
                      Last edited by wu7y; August 17, 2021, 12:05 PM.

• Rob whatever
                      Rob whatever commented
                      Editing a comment
                      He worked at a number of central texas bbq places and has a good, open minded demeanor. He basically said he likes a bit smokier than blue, clean smoke but definitely not billowing. I will be sticking with clean smoke but I wondered if anyone else had experience tweaking the amount of smoke.

I don't know what they mean by too clean. Billowing white smoke is to be avoided if possible. Thing, consistent blue smoke doesn't tend to billow in my experience at least. If the wood burns up (on a kettle) then you won't get any smoke, so....

I guess to me that thin blue smoke is 'clean' but I've never really seen been able to control it that much so I don't see gradations of clean.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here