Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morton Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morton Salt

Has anyone noticed that Morton Kosher Coarse Salt is not very coarse anymore? It’s almost the same as Diamond Crystal. Nothing wrong with Diamond Crystal but you have to use lest salt. My Morton salted meats hate way too salty now.

Sorry for the typos…my Morton salted meats TASTE too salty now

Comment

Now that you bring it up yeah, my last & current box I thought this. I thought maybe it had just been jostled around more. But I haven't noticed a difference in performance though. If in fact they're changing their grind we may need to begin weighing to be more precise.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Weighing is definitely the way to go. If you're going to convert corning, curing, and pickling recipes on this site using salt you might want to consider switching to Morton's canning and pickling salt. Also, since it's a finer grind, it might weigh out about the same as the Diamond Crystal.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I promise you I will never weigh for dry brining or for rubs, I just don't care enough. But for things that require precision weight is the way to go for sure. gcdmd

I'm confused. Morton's has historically been almost 2x the salt per unit volume vs Diamond. If they become more like Diamond, then using the same amount by volume should mean you're using less salt.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/how_to...nd_vice_versa/
      Last edited by rickgregory; August 13, 2021, 02:37 PM.

Comment

FYI - discussed back in December.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I missed this discussion. It seemed new to me here. I wish I had seen it back then it would have prepared me.

I looked on the internet to see if anyone noticed. LOTS of people agreed. One even said they contacted Morton who said nothing has changed but invited the person who made the post ti send in a sample. They said there was no difference. BTW : a previous post mentioned that all things being equal the food should be less salty than usual. I just made a couple of steaks using the 1/2 tsp per pound I always used. Let it dry brine over night. It was less salty. Thanks for the comment.

one more thing. I’m from Chicago and so is the Morton company. My wife read that they are "going through some major changes"
        not sure wombat that means but she said to google it.

Comment

Thanks for the link Troutman…this site is so huge and chock full of info.

Don’t have time to read it all and cook in my spare time.

Comment

• Meathead
            Meathead commented
            Editing a comment
            NOBODY can keep up with it!

I have not noticed a difference in Morton coarse kosher salt. I use it every day and handle it by hand.

Comment

I had noticed recently that meat I've been grilling/smoking seemed to taste saltier. I honestly thought maybe I had suddenly become more sensitive to salt because I'm getting older and l've noticed a lot of things seem to be changing. This post made me think about it, and if my recollection is correct (it may not be -another thing that's changing), I started tasting the difference when I opened a new box of Mortons. I have been cutting back the amount I use.

Comment

You can measure salt? Why?

Actually, yes, for some things I measure salt. But I use the Morton's Kosher for doing dry brining, and follow my grandma's method, which is by sight and feel, not by measure. Grandma owned a cafe and catered for years before and after the cafe, and never got complaints about the food. My aplogies to Meathead, but even when I'm following his recipes, and I do use a spoon or cup, I'm not that particular about whether it's heaping or a little skimpy. Unless he says an exact measurement is vital!

Oh, yeah, the topic, no, haven't noticed a difference. People are still eating what I cook, so it's good.

Comment

Any food larger than 1lb I weigh the salt now.

I got a box of diamond recently that seemed finer.

Comment

I got it figured out. You know how when the price of chocolate goes up they make candy bars smaller, rather than raise the price? Salt manufacturers are using that strategy. They're making the salt smaller. Not sure if they realized the idea is to make the package smaller.

Comment

I’ll let ya know…one day. I still have several unopened boxes to go through before I’ll need more.
                    Also down to about 7lbs of Diamond & 4lbs of Maldon. ;-)

Comment

I've been using Maldon sea salt flakes instead of Morton. To be honest even the Kosher one seems better now. I don't know, was this a batch or something, but I didn't buy it after. Isn't it usual that Kosher has a bit more bang for you buck? In an organic way you kinda know how to to season your dishes according to what salt you use. I say this but I usually just use coarse, rarely diamond, and never really noticed any difference over time. When did you start noticing this?
                      Last edited by AlliDela5; December 4, 2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• RonB
                        RonB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you are for real, I apologize in advance, but we get a lot of spammers trying to sneak in by posting on old threads. So, if you are truly interested in what this site has to offer because you like to grill and/or BBQ, welcome and tell us what you are cooking on and what you like to cook.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here