Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

phosphate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phosphate

I have been reading about how phosphates add so much moisture. I am unsure how much to use. For example there is a basic chicken injection on the website. It has kosher salt and chicken stock in it. If I used that recipe. Would you recommend that I put in a tsp for example. I would also like to try it in brisket and beef ribs.

Thanks Chas

Hi Chas. I am really not the best one to answer this question for you. However, I did want to take this opportunity to welcome you to the Pit.

Comment

• Chas ortman
      Chas ortman commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks David it good to feel welcome

I think you are better off with salt. I found that phosphates add an off taste, in my opinion. That being said, I would put in about 1 tsp per pound across the whole bird.

You are better off buying higher quality chicken, and going from there.

Comment

• Chas ortman
      Chas ortman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You for the feedback

Actually to be most accurate, phosphates in and of themselves don't add moisture. They bind to the wall of the meat proteins and help attract moisture. They also toughen the wall of that protein to aid in moisture retention inside the protein structures.

Generally speaking, I add about a teaspoon of phosphate to a cup of injection for briskets or pork butts. As a disclaimer, that's what my little bit of research has told me. If you go with a commercial product like Butchers Phosphate, they recommend a 1/4 cup of the stuff for every 2 cups of liquid, or a little bit more than I use.

I believe in injecting (with the exception of Wagyu briskets). I believe it helps in the overall finished product, especially in the flat. Give it a try and compare it to an adjacent part of your brisket that is not injected. Good way to experiment and learn.

Comment

• Chas ortman
      Chas ortman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your example. I think I will try adding a small amount to my injections and see how it works Thanks

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same, especially for brisket flats and chuck roasts. Not so much for chicken breasts, as the PBC handles split chickens so nicely and the breasts are always juicy with the dry brine method.

I mix Butcher's BBQ phosphate with homemade beef broth for beef, chicken broth for pork.

Kathryn

I use butchers BBQ phosphates. Inject just about all proteins with the exception of fish. I make my own injection, then add 2 tablespoons of injection per cup of liquor in the injection. I just did a side by side comparison 2 weeks ago. Two yard birds of the same weight with the same sell by date one injected with my phosphate injection, the other with the same injection with the phosphates omitted. Bothe dry brined at the same time, and spun on the same rotisserie at the same time. The phosphate one was FAR superior, especially in the breasts. Much less stringy, more moisture, shrunk a lot less too. Just confirmed what I have always though based on non-side by side cooks. I'll keep injecting.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Think you may have just revealed your secret to your injecting, " liquor", then again you didn't mention which liquor 😊

Good advise above.
    Welcome from the California Delta.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Oh and no need to inject beef ribs in my opinion...they stay Judy due to the amount of marbeling. Here is a choice grade one from Monday's cook
          Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Whose Judy ???

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, no need for that on beef ribs. They are too damn good.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman was the bourbon talking again...notice I said LIQUOR up top, holehogg caught it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here