Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweetbreads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweetbreads

Anyone ever smoke sweetbreads (mollejas)? If like to hear any tips or rocks tricks you might have.

I have only had them fried, but I think 15 - 20 minutes in smoke then seared would be a fun way to experiment.

Comment

Time to bring in the real expert - what say you, Ahumadora ?

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly the person to tag. He must have prepared a few tons at least.

HI. I am now the sweetbread expert??
      Just happens I wrote an article for my site on these fatty little morsels. Here's the English version

Moelljas are the highlight of Argentine asados, now add is smoking them and you just took it took the next level!

Here's a quick and simple recipe on how I smoke moelljas. (Fusing Traditional Argentine asado with American BBQ to create something extraordinary).
      • First step is buying fresh moelljas (you can use previously frozen and thawed). They should be firm, plump and pinkish color without any foul smell.
      • Clean off the excess globs of fat and any undersirable parts or membrane.
      • Put in a small bowl adding a teaspoon of salt and 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Place in fridge and soak for 30 mins - 2 hours. (You can miss this part out if short on time).
      • Remove from brine, wipe off excess moisture and cover completely in Memphis rub.
      • The smoker should be hot 325f/160c and we prefer to use a robust wood like Espinillo (Mezquite) throughout the cook.
      • Smoke for 2 hours or until the moelljas reach an internal temperature of 180f/82c which is thoroughly cooked, but still has a little texture. The moelljas can take a beating ins the smoker, so cook em hot for best results. Visually the outside should have color and be golden brown. (Leave un wrapped to make the outside bark more crispy).
      • Remove from the smoker and let cool uncovered. You can either bag them and freeze for later use or continue with this recipe.
      • Either slice and place directly on a super hot parrilla (grill) or in a pan with herbed butter of your choice, fry at high heat until golden and crispy on each side. Tip:(Mix a little canola oil with the butter or use beef fat to raise the burning point of the butter).
      • Remove from heat and serve!!!
      • Another option is with marinated green apple.. Eyeball quantities Apple cider vinegar, apple juice, sugar, fresh ginger root and red jalapeno
      • Soak green apple in the marinade for 6-8 hours until it becomes semi transparent. After smoking the moelljas slice and serve on kebabs with the green apple and finish with Teryaki sauce. Food of the gods!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ahumadora; August 8, 2021, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here