Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking and baking blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking and baking blind

I was asked today if I would be willing to help teach a lady in this area that is blind, how to make bread, and other cooking hacks. Of course I said yes, I have no idea what I am about to learn, but, I’m certain I will learn more.

Sounds like an opportunity to learn many new things, Brother...

I would think an interface that could address/vocalize temps, time, recipes, etc. would be a requisite startin place, but...

It was done, previous, fer many centuries, afore any such kinda things were ever even dreamt of....so there's Ol Skool, as well...

Lookin forward to followin along on this journey.

Please, Do keep me current...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd be quite surprised, if'n yer not quite surprised, at what she teaches yerself...

In fact, I'd put money on it, sez I...

That's what makes fer such an enjoyable situation, in this case...

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, I expect to be the student. I was a volunteer coach to a bunch of 12-17 year old kids. I went in as the coach, and came out the student, and still learning from that experience. I have no doubts, I’m in for an experience that I should just hold on as the learning starts.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 26, 2021, 07:26 PM.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I would be interested to see if the individual values the Alexa for cooking or not.

Oddly, blind people in certain cultures were relegated to baking and other food skills where feel is key. There's a good chance you're about to teach an upcoming handicapable superstar

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Comedian for sure. She ordered a shirt that says, where is over here and over there, Lol

Of course you said yes. Whoever chose you as the teacher certainly knew what they were doing.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I very much share this viewpoint, as well...

I'm sure you will both learn a thing or two.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

A great opportunity—for both of you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

Richard - take a listen to this, a BBC segment with cooks who are blind.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1rfk

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you will check it out.

A great opportunity for you to help others. You will do great!

Comment

Go for it Richard. You're the one for this task!

Comment

Not to be flippant, but it should be easy, especially for you. Be kind, gentle, slow & patient. She will stop you when she needs to, when she gets it you will know that also. Have fun, it will be a tremendous experience.

Comment

All I gotta say is that you teach us every day, Richard.

Comment

It's gonna be great! I used to do this with a blind runner. What an experience!! Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here