Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit off the BBQ topic, but here goes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit off the BBQ topic, but here goes...

I'm addicted to tuna and chicken salad and think they make great sides. I must have had 200 versions of these, most are just ok. But the memorable ones are jist that, memorable. They all seem to have one ingredient that is endemic to all of them.

I've tried to replicate them dozens of times, but never, ever could nail it. I tried honey, mustards, pickle juice, etc. Nothing worked.

When I bring this up with my peeps they say it is schmaltz. Now, I'm a native New Yawka, so I know what schmaltz is but have no idea how to make it even where to buy it.

If anyone has any insight on any of this, i would very grateful to hear from you.

Al always, Peace
    Daba's BBQ

It's basically just rendered chicken fat. I usually make it by taking the juices and fat drippings from a chicken I've cooked in a pan or on a broiler, and placing it in a squeeze bottle or container after I've strained the juices through a fine wire mesh colander or cheesecloth. You can make it by putting some chicken skins and scraps in a pot and browning it with an onion and a little water, straining the juices as mentioned. Some folks like to use a canning jar to store their schmaltz. Whatever you use, it should keep in the fridge for several months.

Comment

So, when ya call someone a schmatlz yer callin em "chicken fat". Hmm.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I can think of worse things to be called.

We skim ours off the top of chilled homemade chicken stock.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Texas Larry Can you make the Fall MeatUp? I just posted about it an hour ago. Wanted to make sure you didn’t miss it.

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        @panheadjohn saw it, working on it. Thx!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        So in yer case you call someone a chilled homemade "chicken fat".

Wow, who knew?!

Ironically, I'm making roast chicken for dinner and will definitely use the above ideas
      Thank you guys

Peace

Comment

one of the other great "secret ingredients" for mayo based salads and sauces is celery seeds, by the way. :-)
        Last edited by ecowper; July 26, 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Fireman- I should be so lucky that that's the worst thing someone ever called me!

Comment

When I cook Indian food, the recipes always call for skinless, but bone in chicken. I skin the parts the tender them out in a low skillet. Et voilà, schmaltz! And the chicken skin cracklings are a delicious snack.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              An Indian schmaltz, who woulda knew?

My grandmother, the best cook I've ever known, made her schmaltz by skimming the fat off the top of her chicken soup. Now, I've shared that, but don't even think of asking for her potato kugel recipe.

Comment

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Closely guarded secrets of the Bubbe!
              Last edited by Beefchop; July 26, 2021, 11:01 PM.

A local market chain here in SoCal carries it (Sprouts), along with duck and goose fat. You can get it from the Big A:

Epic Provisions, Fat Chicken Organic, 11 Ounce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Not quite the same as rendering your own, but it is very good for store-bought.

Comment

So I have never seen a recipe that calls for schmaltz. How much do you add? I would think a small quantity.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
                GolfGeezer commented
                Editing a comment
                @ofellas Most anything that was cooked or fried in a fat was done in schmaltz when I was growing up. Fried potato pancakes, sautéing veggies - any cook that used oil/fat was done with schmaltz. I never saw it used as an ingredient in something.

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                GolfGeezer That is my thinking but reading this I thought maybe I missed something. I use bacon, duck, goose, chicken fat in a lot of my cooking.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here