Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Award

If YOU were to give yourself a BBQ Award for one of your creations (not what others may think it is)
    What would it be? (not the award)

I love Pork Belly a lot. So I allot myself the honour for makin bacon. I have had a fair amount of practice, making around 40 pounds every month. Of the different alternatives the maple syrup (faux maple) is top of the list.

At this point in my smoker journey I would award myself the little steam engine that could award.
    I think I can, I think I can etc haha

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'd qualify for the Tootle award, since I'm frequently off the rails.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd As long as you stop for the red flag waving, you're okay.

I've only done these one time for a block party. Pork Belly Burnt Ends. #3 lbs split into one pound pieces. These were cubed and done with different rubs. They came out perfectly. I guess this would be under "One Hit Wonder" award.

Comment

Participant.
      Like most kids sports these days everyone gets a ribbon.

Comment

• Stuey1515
        Stuey1515 commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha, so this is a global thing then!
        My youngest daughter once one 1st, 2nd & 3rd places in a local gymnastics comp as she was the only entrant in her age group!!

I'd say brisket chili. It'll take most of an afternoon to make, but it is pretty dang good. I've had some good food come out of my cookers and kitchen and the best award is that of happy family and guests. At the end of the day, after all the dishes are done, guests have left and I'm lying in bed recapping the evening it's remembering the happy faces and compliments over a meal well prepared that make it all worth it.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a recipe posted for that? My wife makes a chili with leftover brisket, not sure I'd call it brisket chili per se, but it's dern good.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I stumbled on this one: https://www.southernkitchen.com/reci.../brisket-chili Like all of us I add my own riffs like smoking the veggies and using our own smoked peppers, always use a bottle of Negra Modelo, and after sautéing and assembling the chili it gets at least 3 hours or more in a smoker at 325-350 with the pot lid off and 30 minute stirs (adding hot water or broth as needed). ecowper has a similar recipe as well. This is probably my most commented on dish.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; July 16, 2021, 03:23 PM.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        And I ALWAYS use leftover smoked brisket with a little more point than flat and only submerge the meat and veggies about 3/4ths in the liquid. I think the point gives it a nice layer of richness while the flat pieces give it a satisfying, meaty bite. This would not be the same with fresh brisket meat. To tell you the truth, my mouth was literally watering as I went through the ingredients and steps while writing this reply!
        Last edited by CaptainMike; July 16, 2021, 03:24 PM.

The just because he can doesn't mean he should award.

Or the I think I can award!

Comment

Every day I will award myself all over again,
        I will never let my BBQ grow old
        I will always grill it new

Comment

I'm proud of my brisket. I treat each one with TLC and I use a mix of 2 rubs. I hate to sound arrogant or cocky (not a fan of that personality trait at all), but in this context I think this is what the OP is asking for....so I would give myself an award for that. I would like to put my brisket up against a big name from Texas just to see how I'd do. I might be humbled (most likely), or I might do really well. Who knows.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Based on my recent experience, many of us do brisket pretty much as well as those boys and girls down in Texas. Don't get me wrong, the places I tried were, for the most part, par excellence, and the atmosphere and experience is unrivaled, but the brisket that comes out of my smokers is every bit as good. That said, as 58limited opined, they do it with 100 briskets every day they cook, and they put all on the line. I won't have to unretire if one of my brisket cooks flops.
            Last edited by CaptainMike; July 16, 2021, 03:26 PM.

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            You could swing by my place, cook up a brisket for me to try. Then if I ever get to Texas, I'll let you know how they compare.

I could be awarded the everything tastes like it came off a brand new pellet grill several years in a row and running.

As far as the food, I don’t look to cook extravagant, exotic, or even mildly exciting or I will be the only one eating it. DOH! Now that I say (type) that, what have I been thinking? I should be trying more of the awesome looking stuff y’all are posting here and then I might actually get some of the leftovers for lunch the next day too.

Comment

I really feel I have a long way to go to get to any award winning level. But that said, I keep improving. Practice, practice, practice. I make very respectable pork ribs, beef ribs, pork chops, and chicken. Again, lots of room for improvement, and I love the challenge to get better.

Comment

Since my mom always asks me for brisket, I would say that. But for me, it was sucking it up and cooking that coon. Even though no one else but me would taste it lol.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Stuey1515 might have an easier time getting a wombat.

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh boy. I just recently managed to get over that ordeal.

• Rfhd69
                Rfhd69 commented
                Editing a comment
                Haaaaaa! Livin’ life my friend

My Pastrami!

Comment

I think the answer would be what are you requested to bring to other houses or make when having people over. For me it is smoked meatloaf and smoked salmon. One thing I can say is that I have stopped over seasoning meat and fish after asking for feedback and have lowered the temp in the smokers and grills. I've always been good with listening to feedback and correcting what needs to be corrected.

Comment

I’m still practicing… I’ll have to let you know

Comment

• RolfTaylor
                    RolfTaylor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just like Medical Doctors and Lawyers... practice practice practice!

I would give myself the "Come Back" award! Somehow I can wake up after eating way to much Q and not giving up!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here