Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nebraska BBQ culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nebraska BBQ culture?

Any Cornhuskers here? Tell me about your BBQ tradition, whatever it is. Is it simple (burgers, hotdogs, brauts)? An extension of Texas or Kansas City? I've read a lot about BBQ in other places, but I never hear Nebraska mentioned.

PS: I'm in California, which doesn't have a BBQ style. Although there's a little town called Santa Maria here with a very popular style. Respectfully, everyone always calls it 'Santa Maria-style BBQ', not 'California BBQ'.
    Last edited by SmokingPat; July 13, 2021, 06:35 PM.

I'm also a SoCal guy but my buddy is a Nebraska farm boy and according to him it's all about the beef - balls and all. Some places serve "Omaha style" but it's similar to KC style and basically includes different sides - fresh veggies, Rotella bread - but also the traditional stuff. Hopefully some real Nebraskans will chime in though. Always like to hear of a BBQ style I need to sample!

Santa Maria style Rules!

Buy meat from Nebraska - https://www.nebeef.org/resources/beef-from-nebraska

Comment

• SmokingPat
      SmokingPat commented
      Editing a comment
      "... balls and all."

That reminds me of the movie 'Temple Grandin', a biography about the livestock scientist of the same name. At one point in the movie, male co-workers try to harass Grandin by throwing bull testicles on her truck windshield. She angrily replies "I've eaten bulls' testicles! Ate them in my aunt's ranch. Regularly! This is a waste!"

A very good movie -- worth watching.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Who the heck would waste one of the best parts of a bull. Rocky mountain oysters are fine dining! Idiots!

I lived in Nebraska for 4 years. Still using a gasser at that point. I don't remember any "Nebraska" style. In Omaha, at least when I was living there, Italian was more predominate than BBQ. BTW, the really good beef in Nebraska is imported over the river from Iowa. We feed steers corn over here, not just grass.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here