Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bison Brisket smoke or braise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bison Brisket smoke or braise?

I just swung by a bison ranch and picked up some bison including a brisket. I'm wondering if I should smoke it or if I should braise it to avoid a tough or dry result. Does anyone have experience with bison brisket.

Haven't done one but ready to learn from your experience.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I also picked up a flank steak for tacos and some ground bison for bacon bison burgers.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto

Not brisket, but I have done a Bison chuck, I normally don't wrap, but I'd smoke for a bit then wrap. There is less fat but it's still a low and slow muscle. Never had anything Bison braised but I'm sure that would work just fine?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking about smoking and wrapping as a possibility too. Good idea.

I’ve had a yak brisket that my friend smoked. It would have been better braised. I’d probably smoke it for a couple hours, then braise it.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm currently leaning towards this method.

Tried both ways and we think braised is much better.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      How do you like to do it? Any particular recipe you like?

We found this recipe when researching and used it as it was the National Bison Association brisket winner years ago:

1 boneless trimmed bison brisket (approximately 3 pounds)
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 Tablespoons olive oil
    2 lbs. onion, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise (6 cups)
    1/2 Bay leaf
    1 (12 oz.) bottled beer (not dark beer or ale)
    1 beef bouillon cube, crumbled
    1 Tablespoon Balsamic vinegar

Pat brisket dry and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Heat oil in a 6 to 8-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot (not smoking) then brown meat well on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a platter.
    Cook onions with bay leaf in remaining oil over moderate heat, stir occasionally, until golden, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat & transfer 1/2 of onions to a bowl. Place brisket over onions in pot, top with remaining onions. Add beer, bouillon cube, & vinegar (liquid should come about halfway up sides of meat). Bring to a boil. Cover pot and braise in middle of oven until meat is very tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Cool in sauce, uncovered, 30 minutes.
    Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Season with salt & pepper. Slice meat across the grain & serve with sauce. Garlic mashed potatoes and your choice of mixed steamed or roasted vegetables rounds out this tasty, nutritious dish.

2007 NBA Brisket Bonanza Winner Recipe courtesy of Griffin’s Rockie Hill Bison Farm Kitchen.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great, thanks!

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      What was your oven temperature?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment

Bison is so lean, if you smoke it I would inject it with Wagyu tallow then be sure to wrap with a tallow smear on the outside. That amps up a regular select brisket so it would surely help with bison.

Or if you really want to think outside the box, I would consider doing bison brisket barbacoa. That's in essence a braising process and oh the flavor you could add with the adobo marinade. Don't get me going, that may be my next cook !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here